Author Topic: Items found in a Canterbury house being renovated  (Read 2286 times)

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
Re: Items found in a Canterbury house being renovated
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 10:31:25 AM »
The keyplate is for quite a large key.  I've just compared it to a modern security for a church door and the key is smaller than the keyplate's hole.  I would image that it is a door lock rather than furniture.  It could possibly have been removed from a domestic safe door.
The other two tags look like belt or harness ends.  Note that they can only be attached at the bottom (as shown) and are decorated at the top.  They don't look practical, they seem to be quite thin so not for lifting.
All guesswork of course!

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 08:39:25 AM »
At the size shown against a hand,they now appear to be a bit large for what I suggested. Maybe from a piece of furniture on a larger scale.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 08:39:59 PM »
What a nice find. There is no indication of scale or material. If they are small and brass (or Gold), as I think, they are they could be embellishments for a writing case or a lady's needle work box or the old-fashioned Jewel Box with all the tray inserts, they all tended to have corner and ornamental bits as well as the keyhole plate.

Thank you Grandarog - They look like brass.  I've attached another photo to show scale.  Your explanation seems to fit rather well.

Thanks
John

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 05:27:02 AM »
What a nice find. There is no indication of scale or material. If they are small and brass (or Gold), as I think, they are they could be embellishments for a writing case or a lady's needle work box or the old-fashioned Jewel Box with all the tray inserts, they all tended to have corner and ornamental bits as well as the keyhole plate.

Offline John Walker

Items found in a Canterbury house being renovated
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 11:50:18 PM »
My Niece is working on a house in central Canterbury and found these items under an original Georgian window.

Can anyone identify them?  One looks like a surround for a keyhole and the other looks decorative.

Thanks