Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1040120 times)

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #2867 on: September 09, 2020, 09:35:16 PM »
Thanks John Walker . Taken about 12 years ago .Should go pretty quick.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2866 on: September 09, 2020, 09:07:18 PM »
If you have a photo ready to go then you go for it Grandarog - I would never have guessed the name of it.

It's a day I remember well.  It was a works outing some 60+ years ago and it sounded so exciting but when we arrived at the beach there was a freezing north easterly wind coming in.  We ended up at the swimming pool as at least is was sheltered.  We were sitting just opposite the camera position.  A quick dip is all we managed and then sat shivering eating our spam sandwiches and currant buns.  It left quite an image in my head and as soon as I saw the photo, I thought that must be the place.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #2865 on: September 09, 2020, 07:40:35 PM »
Well I would never have guessed Sheerness .Went there loads of times years ago. Picture put me off.
Never saw the cascade working like the picture it was more of a pathetic trickle.
In answer to the question it was The Aquarena. Loads ofWindows above where people watched from the seafront.
Pete please Give it to John Walker as he found it.
Wasn't it spelt Aquarina?

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #2864 on: September 09, 2020, 07:34:20 PM »
Well I would never have guessed Sheerness .Went there loads of times years ago. Picture put me off.
Never saw the cascade working like the picture it was more of a pathetic trickle.
In answer to the question it was The Aquarena. Loads ofWindows above where people watched from the seafront.
Pete please Give it to John Walker as he found it.

pete.mason

« Reply #2863 on: September 09, 2020, 06:25:01 PM »
It is Sheerness but what was it known as? Only went in there once and as you say F Freezing, colder than the sea and probably not much cleaner

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2862 on: September 09, 2020, 05:19:35 PM »
Is it the Sheerness Swimming Pool? 

It looks like the place we went to in Sheerness once as kids.  The water was freezing.  My Dad decided to try the top diving board but when he got up there it was higher than he expected.  He tried to come down but there was a queue coming up behind him so he had to dive.  He didn't enjoy it at all as he hit the water badly.

If it's not there then I need to search further...

pete.mason

« Reply #2861 on: September 09, 2020, 05:17:44 PM »
Snap!!!! but where is it and what was it's original name ? (not Lido)

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #2860 on: September 09, 2020, 04:23:52 PM »
No idea where it is but here's the view I found while looking.

pete.mason

« Reply #2859 on: September 09, 2020, 12:30:11 PM »
Thanks, not one I've visited

This one then, name of the  place and what was it known as clue:NOT Lido

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2858 on: September 09, 2020, 09:31:52 AM »
Well done Pete - you earned that one  ;D .   

It was reported to be the favourite watering hole of Marden resident "Bungalow Bill Wiggins" and his somewhat more famous "girl friend" Joan Collins.
For a brief period the Raglan became the watering hole for the National press following the £200m+ Securitas raid at Tonbridge with a huge police investigation at a neighbouring farm.

Movie shot entirely in Kent gets its county premiere.
A movie with a distinctly Kentish heritage will get its first outing in the county tomorrow (Sunday).
The Carer, starring Brian Cox, was to have been shot on a country estate in Scotland, but a last-minute hitch forced producer Charlotte Wontner to look around for a new location - she found it at Boughton Monchelsea Place just outside Maidstone.
The film was shot over five weeks at the beginning of 2015, with additional scenes filmed at the Sutton Valence Care Home and at Sutton Valence Senior and Prep Schools. Other scenes were filmed in the "Lord Raglan" pub in Chart Hill Road, Staplehurst, and at shops in Headcorn.
Mrs Wontner, who lives in Collier Street, said: “Local companies were very helpful and lots of local villagers helped us with our crowd scenes. Most of our lead actors came from London, the USA or Hungary but they enjoyed coming out of town to film in the Kent countryside, and they loved staying at Leeds Castle!”
The Carer tells the story of a cantankerous old Shakespearean actor, played by Cox, who is suffering from a form of Parkinson’s, who has scared off all his previous helpers. Then his daughter finds him a new carer, a young Hungarian refugee called Dorottya, played by Coco Konig, who has acting aspirations of her own.
The film is made by Hopscotch Films and stars Emilia Fox, Anna Chancellor, Karl Johnson and has a brief appearance by Roger Moore.
It is directed by Janos Edelenyi.
It has already had its US premiere at the Palm Springs Festival, and its British première at the Edinburgh Film Festival, where it won the award for best film at both, but tomorrow’s performance at The Trinity Theatre in Tunbridge Wells, will be the first screening in Kent. It will be followed by a Q and A session with some of the cast and crew.

The nearby course fishing centre is enormous.  I'd not heard of it prior to this GTP.

Over to you Pete...

pete.mason

« Reply #2857 on: September 09, 2020, 08:44:57 AM »
Last attempt!!! Lord Raglan, Chart Hill Rd  Cross at Hand /Staplehurst

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2856 on: September 08, 2020, 08:16:40 PM »
So close Pete.  Right river and right area.   ;)

pete.mason

« Reply #2855 on: September 08, 2020, 06:32:02 PM »
Stile bridge?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2854 on: September 08, 2020, 05:53:06 PM »
Wrong river Pete.  Follow the other small river that runs south east from Yalding.  Then follow the other clues.  The pub is close to this river.   Look out for the very large course fishery and you are very close then.

pete.mason

« Reply #2853 on: September 08, 2020, 04:12:44 PM »
Gun & Spitroast Horsmonden