Author Topic: Wetham Green, UPCHURCH .  (Read 3925 times)

Offline grandarog

  • Mr
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1248
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
Re: Wetham Green, UPCHURCH .
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 12:11:25 PM »
Bit more to update post. The owner has cleared a lot more of the site now. one of the Heavy Emplacements has been roofed over.

                          DIVER BOX DIVER BATTERY TS3
A World War II Heavy Anti-aircraft gunsite and its domestic camp at Wetham Green, situated 460 metres north of Red Brick Cottage and circa 1km north of Upchurch village south of the River Medway. The gunsite, known as TS3 (Thames South 3) was part of a chain of batteries positioned to defend industrial and military targets in the Lower Thames and Medway areas from high flying strategic bombers approaching from the south and east. This gunsite was equipped with Gun Laying Radar and sources indicate that it was established by February 1940 and was armed with four 3.7 inch (mobile) Anti-aircraft guns by 1942. In 1944 the site was enlarged to accommodate two additional guns. It was manned by 284 Battery of the 90th Royal Artillery Regiment in 1942, and by 624 Battery of the 148th Mobile Royal Artillery Regiment in 1943. The domestic site which consists of accomodation huts and associated structures is situated circa 50 metres south east of the gun emplacements. This is one of only nine sites nationally to survive with its layout, including its domestic site, substantially intact. It was used as a Diver Battery in the Diver Box from 26th July 1944, when it was upgunned to six 3.7-inch guns, at which time it was manned by 269 Battery of the 148th (Mixed) Anti Aircraft Artillery Regiment. It formed part of 28 Anti Aircraft Artillery Brigade.

Offline grandarog

  • Mr
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1248
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
Wetham Green, UPCHURCH .
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 02:51:20 PM »
I had a long post about this lost forever on  the old Forum.

Wetham Green, UPCHURCH TS3.(Thames South 3) Heavy Anti Aircraft Gun Site.
The gun site was equipped with Gun Laying Radar on a ramped stand in an adjacent field.
The main Gunsite  was established by February 1940 and was armed with four 3.7 inch Anti-aircraft (AA) guns by 1942. This battery was located within the deployment zone around the fringes of the Thames Estuary, an area known as the Diver Box created for the eastern defence of London. The battery came under the operational control of 28 AA Brigade, and was enlarged to accommodate two additional HAA guns circa 1944 In January 1946 the battery was selected to form part of the reduced, post-war layout known as the Nucleus Force, with its guns held in readiness off-site. It remained as such until the end of the Cold War in the 1960,s
In present day the site is more or less still complete although much updated by the present owner. The Radar Ramp is present but in a derelict condition.The site can be viewed from a Footpath running beside it.
Most of the Domestic site is present but on private land and unavailable to the public.
The photos below are from Google earth taken in 1960 and last year 2020.
On 24-Apr-2002 the Site was listed as a Scheduled Monument 1020387
National Grid Reference: TQ 84447 68407, TQ 84503 68365, TQ 84515 68452, TQ 84618 68304