Author Topic: Trams in Gillingham  (Read 4702 times)

Offline Dave Smith

Re: Trams in Gillingham
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2021, 04:29:03 PM »
Thanks Pete. It was certainly not as reasonable as that, or we would have gone in. Lutonman. I hope the younger KHF's read your second paragraph?

pete.mason

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2021, 02:47:15 PM »
£8 adults, £19 go as often as you like for a year

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2021, 12:26:44 PM »
Lutonman. Yes Crich is a great tram museum We went when it first opened but more recently -2000?-were in that area & thought we'd re-visit but SO expensive for pensioners( £30+ each I think), so didn't.

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2021, 09:43:59 PM »
Thanks Dave Smith, I was too young to see local trams, just saw them at Blackpool and a museum at Crich in Derbyshire  Crich Tramway Village - A great day out for all the family.

Too old now to ask my Dad he's long gone but he would have been on trams going down to the dockyard. Remember working with my teams in Military road Chatham digging on the gas mains and finding tram tracks.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 08:51:13 PM »
Thanks Lutonman. The thing that adds credence to my memory is that it was an open top tram. And I didn't know that the only trams in Gillingham were open top, until this topic was started. Sometimes they used to have special days to celebrate the end of an era before everything is dismantled. I wonder? My Dad would have been keen on that but, as always, we never ask our parents things of interest until they've gone! So all you younger KHF members, remember that.

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 09:59:41 PM »
Old photo does it help, I've posted it before:

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 11:51:47 PM »
Dave,

The book I quote from dates from 1994, well before the internet became a primary reference source. Every other reference I can find also gives the same date, so what the explanation is in regard to your clearly vivid memory I cannot say.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 02:05:15 PM »
Smiffy. I know Wiki state September in 1930, followed by someone's book- taking the lead from Wiki? But there is no doubt at all in my mind that I travelled along Gillingham High Street on the open top deck of one- noisey, rattley, drafty but exhilarating- I can even imagine it now and I don't need to close my eyes! And I was born in April, 1930, so, just for the record.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2021, 01:08:50 AM »

According to "Maidstone and Chatham Tramways" published by Middleton Press, Maidstone trams finished on 11th February 1930 when the last remaining tram route was closed. April 1967 saw the end of the trolley bus service.

The Medway tram system came to an end on 30th September 1930.

pete.mason

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2021, 06:47:31 PM »
They were still running 1964 I used to go from Oakwood Rd to Maidstone GS for 1.5d

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 04:29:26 PM »
Dave Smith ,I thought the old Brown corporation Trolley Bus,s with overhead wires.were operational from the 1930's running out to loose and along Sutton road.

pete.mason

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 01:52:19 PM »
The one good thing about the Maidstone trollies was that they kept going through the floodwater. I remember going over the bridge when it flooded from the Pie shop to Wilkinsons, water just creeping onto the platform. The bad thing was when they u turned at the Monument and the pickups came off and the bus was stuck in the middle of the road while the conductor pulled out the long bamboo with a hook on it to refit to te overheads. IIRC some of the M/stone buses went to Bournemouth

Online MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 12:52:55 PM »
It is mainly problems with the overhead.  For a summary see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolleybus#Disadvantages
The overhead is more complex that for trams, two wires are required instead of one.  When trolleybuses were in use in the UK battery technology was at a much earlier state than today and the only way to allow trolley buses of the wire was to use a heavy lead-acid battery with limited range.  With limited on-board batteries any attempt to divert around roadworks or to take a non-standard route could be a problem.Unfortunately the book I have on trolley buses is (1) American based and (2) stops at the outbreak of war (1941 over there).  The 1960 revision chickens out with "To discuss adequately the various postwar developments would require a major addition to this book", I'm afraid Wiki is the best explanation.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 12:20:40 PM »
grandarog. A different animal entirely, on rubber tyres for starters, so smooth running & quiet. When I returned to Kent in '66/68, there were no trolley's in Maidstone & they hadn't been introduced when I left home in 1947. I often wondered why trolley's were discontinued- electric power would now be all the rage! I suppose it was the expense of putting in the overhead power cables & their maintenance ( I'm sure someone will correct me?). In the 50's/60's I lived in W. London & trolley buses were very prevalent.  castle261. Do you remember the noise & rattling & juddering? If not, definitely not a tram!

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 06:13:26 PM »
The only trams I can remember were at Maidstone .They were really trolley bus,s with over head wires ,Not on tracks tracks .