Author Topic: Slang  (Read 2091 times)

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Re: Slang
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 03:29:44 PM »
That story of the `rabbit` by granarog - I heard it was a sailor with a cat + duty free cigarettes.

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 09:35:26 AM »
I'm fairly sure we used the term "rabbit" at Blaw Knox for anything made for yourself with material supplied by them, during works time. My mother in law and oldest bro in law also worked in the dockyard so I probably heard it from them as well.
AlanH.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 10:46:21 AM »
Well there we are, several meanings of a "rabbit"in dockyard terminology ,who's to say what one is nearest the truth,reguards "over wills mothers" it's apparent it was not just a yard thing but was fairlyin fairly wide usage in the south eastern counties,something else Lerned ,
Just love this type of blog ,just a friendly chat among fourum members,brings back memories of the lost fourum,remember the landing craft saga,plus the slip coach tome,all gone now.But thanks to our leader we have a great new forum to work in ,

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 06:54:26 PM »
The term Rabbits was always used by my late hubby, but he was RN and came home each time from abroad with 'Rabbits '. Toys especially that we couldn't get here. 
As for It's raining / sunny over Wills mothers,  That was  something I was brought up with  and my Mums family came from Hampshire , so not necessarily a Kent saying. But being a child and having an Uncle Will there, I always thought it was over her home  ::)

pete.mason

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 05:09:18 PM »
Slightly O/T but the term chat was used around Sittingbourne, covered anything that was free/cheap, "on the chat"-on the dole or sickpay, "done some chat" -overtime, got some chat -" scrap (toot) or  something made on the firm"

Offline shoot999

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 04:08:14 PM »
I worked in a number of bases, inc Chatham, and they all used the term 'rabbits' for items being made, or other  non-authorised work being carried out.  From making nets (to catch rabbits!), repairing damage to some of our vessels without the 'paperwork', to having our cars and bikes repaired or serviced by our engineers. All came under the term rabbit.
Can't recall the term rabbit being used for taking stuff out the yard, but as we were 'mobile' with an all Dockyards pass, we were able to just walk out with tools, clothing, sleeping bags, etc.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 03:30:20 PM »
Although my Dad worked in the yard & my best friend was an apprentice there, I never heard them use the expression " rabbits" for items being made or " removed" from the yard. When I was an apprentice at Shorts, items made illicitly were called "foreigners". Mostly cigarette lighters made from a solid block of Dural ( duralumin).

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 12:33:31 PM »
I always understood the Dockyard term Rabbits was to do with nicking goods from the dockyard.
When stopped on leaving a worker was asked what was in the bag by the Dockyard Policeman at the gate. When he replied rabbit the copper said show me where  upon the rabbit would escape and run back in the dockyard ,hotly pursued by the worker. On returning with his nicked goodies in the sack the worker puffing and blowing would be waved through by the amused Policeman with out a bag check . :)

Offline Stewie

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 09:30:21 AM »
We used this on the railway as well Colin, I thought that it may be a Kentish saying?

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 09:16:49 AM »
Hi all,something I often came across in the yard was ,it's raining/snowing/ sunny over "wills mothers"who the mythical Will was ,or the location of his maters abode is still a mystery to me today😳

Offline Stewie

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 08:22:52 AM »
Thanks Colin, I have heard many Dockyard men talk of 'Rabbit' jobs but no one seems sure where the term originates from.

Offline Colin walsh

Slang
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 01:44:22 AM »
Change of subject,dockyard sayings,ask any ex yard person,"about the term "rabbit "and I bet all will say it was some small job /article made or performed in yard time,using 'liberated 'material .
In fact the term "rabbit"came from way back ,most yard employes ,apart from skilled men,shipwrights ECT ,were payed on the 'job and finish'system part time only.so cash was hard to come by,(nothing changes).at that time st Mary's island was virgin scrub land,lnfested with rabbits,so catching them in dockyard time was a fair way of subsiding wages/family food supply ,being caught of said deceased bunny on leaving the yard was considerd a sackable offence.so over the years any illegal work / item became known as a "rabbit".
I knew a chippy who during ww2 made a good living manufacturing copper fire guards from shimm sheets,we had a engine fitter who produced beautiful cigarette. Lighters from brass ,plus beautifly made bags &a zip up hold alls from the sail makers,