Author Topic: Member Participation.  (Read 4717 times)

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Re: Member Participation.
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2021, 01:18:20 PM »
What must it be, to be a Walker
What must it be, to be a Talker
You need a camera + some time
A church or chapel - that rhyme
1000 times + a lot re-searches
John knows + a lot of churches.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 04:34:47 PM »
I've just noticed today that John Walker has recorded 1,000 posts, so congratulations from me.

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2021, 08:54:42 PM »
I think Covid has mucked us all up a little bit. In my own case, I am working from home.  I have an office set up in the back bedroom.  But, I reckon I am working far harder than when I went into the office.   And because I am spending all day at the computer in the "office" I am less inclined to go back to it later in the day to look at KHF and the other two forums I am on.

I hope once we get back to normal, I will get back to my usual post-dinner posting.   
DTT

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2021, 08:43:26 PM »
Of the five newest members, only one has posted at all. That was a single post recommending another site.

I'm guessing these newbies are joining up looking for something and not finding it? Or perhaps logging in issues?

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2021, 07:10:11 PM »
I'm still waiting to hear from Grumpy Granny. Surely you must have SOMETHING to say? PLEASE.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2021, 03:49:01 PM »
Castle261,yes indeed there were a number of times hunter/killer class submarines had to have 'emergency " docking .Due to some technical / operational requirement .It wasn't unusual to have two boats in at once,one refueling ,to'ther for alterations and additional work ,the capacity was controld by the ACRC system (alternative cooling reactor systems)a system that kept the boat under refuel supplied with a supply of cooling water to its reactor(very simplified description )I am proud to say much pioneering work was carried out in the complex in Chatham,we were good ,Rosyth & Devonport both grew from the ground work at Chatham,yes ,we made mistakes,but it's safe to say Chatham perfected Nuc refueling ,things such as MAC 10/12 another story for another time.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2021, 02:50:50 PM »
Speaking for myself I keep an eye on GTP, and if I can add information when it is claimed, will do so.  Whether my little scribblings warrant a new post I leave to others.  I've certainly wasted/enjoyed a few hours on GSV trying to identify some of the places, and as may be apparent to regulars I often go to Wikipedia for initial information.

Offline castle261

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2021, 02:09:45 PM »
That is interesting Colin walsh - you being a Radiation Monitor - as I had a story run on the old site.
Will tell in due time - Concerns when 2 Hunter Killer subs were in 6 /  7 docks & one in Basin 1.

We only had 4 Hunter Killer subs - then.

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2021, 11:26:57 AM »
There's no criticism of GTP intended. I was just pointing out that I tend to ignore it. I think there's a missed opportunity in that.

For instance I know that churches often feature in GTP, yet there's only 7 posts on churches on the forum. How many interesting church images and information lie buried in the GTP thread now unseen?

I'm sure Temple Manor in Strood has featured in GTP. I'm more likely to browse a titled thread on such an interesting and unknown building than browse GTP.

Online johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 08:07:13 AM »
Cosmo, most GTP photos are, at some point, described and historical context given or requested. Posting a picture of an interesting looking building can then generate replies as to its past, while at the same time providing innocent fun for those searching for its location. I’m also certain that there are a number of others who follow the quiz without ever posting.

My own knowledge of Kent has certainly been enhanced by a few hours searching on google street view. I got quite familiar with Canterbury at one point, which has then fed back into my family history research.

Obviously I’m biased as the current mystery picture is mine...
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 12:52:00 AM »
We have ,for our usage a section on dockyards,a lot of Medway towns people worked in the yard at one time or another,so there must be a load of stories concerning the yard out there ,plus tales of the people who worked therein,funny tragic,sad,stories,let's get them on record via this fourum because very soon there won't be many ex 'yard Maties' left to tell the tails,it would be a shame to loose the very essence of yard life, plus it can only improve the fourum as a repository of local information ,.
I was a radiation monitor ,worked up Untill closure  clearing up the radio logical implications of the refueling complex,allso worked at Lodge Hill RNAD as a boy ,after the closure I was approached by a young lady doing her thesis on the nuclear complex and its reprocusons on those who were radiation workers, learnt a lot from that?so come on you yard gals &guys lets lay the ghost of the lazy Maties for ever,

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 11:58:12 PM »
Just a few thoughts. I don't get involved in Guess the Place because my knowledge of the obscure places is (like others here) limited. If I check on the recent posts and see just GTP listed, I tend to move on by without checking if anything else has been discussed.

Perhaps others do this?

It may be an idea to build on the success GTP has by requiring users of that to post additional threads on history of the places mused upon. This will develop a multitude of other discussions that others can now add to and build up a culture of others doing likewise?

Another idea would be to add "chatty" threads that all can be involved in. Like favourite places to visit before lockdown, or recommended walks and the like.

Offline castle261

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 11:50:19 AM »
I see we have a NEW member ` Grumpy Granny ` I would love to hear WHAT she has to say ?

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 05:08:11 PM »
The discussion which appeared to be developing about Gas Works has been moved to it's own thread, under Utilities - Gas and Gas Works.

It's here:

https://kenthistoryforum.com/index.php?topic=575
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 11:29:06 AM »
I originally joined the old forum to add some detail to the rebuilding of Christ Church Luton. My professional background is in the Gas Distribution industry and personally in church matters these are not subjects which come up very often on the forum. I do regularly visit the forum and where I can add a viewpoint and join in GTP where I can.