Author Topic: Water Supply and Sewage?  (Read 5958 times)

KeithG

Re: Water Supply and Sewage?
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 09:20:00 AM »
Stuart.... I have to ask as I keep wondering if Waters is your surname or just used because of your job?

One of my friends had a science teacher called Miss Rocket  ;D

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 05:46:38 PM »
I work in the drainage industry, you may have seen my employers yellow lorries running around. My job takes me to sewage works and pumping stations all over the south-east of England. Further to Mike and Lyn's points, I've done a job in London where the drains were blocked with chicken bones. It turned out that one of the tenants in a very large block of flats in Central London (EC1 postcode area) was running a food delivery business from their flat. Mind you, I've also jetted live ammunition out of a sewer in Southall too.

I put up a few sewage related posts in the Guess the Place game on the old Forum, one was of a building at Minster-in-Thanet sewage works, the other was of the Combined Sewer Overflow Screen off William Street in Rainham.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 01:30:59 PM »
How charming ! Can't imagine anyone putting chicken bones or the like down the loo. Glad your neighbours found it wasn't you.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 01:17:32 PM »
I live in a housing association home.
A few years ago now our front garden was awash with sewage  on a Boxing Day of course . Trying to get that sorted between Southern Water and MHS was awful, they both denied ownership. We have a manhole cover in the main pavement in between ours and next door where it was coming from. That actually is from the houses on the opposite side of the road to us. Fortunately SW  found it was their problem but oh the mess and pong. Two years after that it happened again but this time was a failure of the main pipe from those houses which goes straight through into my garden , they had to dig up the side path and replace the whole length of pipe as it was cracked. More of the flaming stuff everywhere . It didn't cost us anything just inconvenience , I just wish it could have been sorted out a little bit quicker and we had clear up our front garden.
Hope it was OK to add  this.

Wow this new section of the forum, is the place to be!   Neighbour had his main drain blocked, toilet backing up. Not very nice at all. Special people came in and cleared the drain but found bones. They called the police. Turned out the previous owner had pushed a half eaten chicken down his toilet. No accounting for some. For a while the rest of the close kept looking at us, as child murderers! Glad the police announced the findings to everyone and we were able to go out again without being stoned!

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 11:44:39 AM »
I live in a housing association home.
A few years ago now our front garden was awash with sewage  on a Boxing Day of course . Trying to get that sorted between Southern Water and MHS was awful, they both denied ownership. We have a manhole cover in the main pavement in between ours and next door where it was coming from. That actually is from the houses on the opposite side of the road to us. Fortunately SW  found it was their problem but oh the mess and pong. Two years after that it happened again but this time was a failure of the main pipe from those houses which goes straight through into my garden , they had to dig up the side path and replace the whole length of pipe as it was cracked. More of the flaming stuff everywhere . It didn't cost us anything just inconvenience , I just wish it could have been sorted out a little bit quicker and we had clear up our front garden.
Hope it was OK to add  this.

Offline mmitch

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 11:07:58 AM »

My sister lived on a small private development in Kent that had a (private) sewage system with a pump.It was below the main road system. For 5 years she tried to find out who supplied the electricity but all  companies denied it was them! Suddenly one of them woke up and tried to send in a bill for about 7 years worth. But in the end they paid about 1/2 as there was a limit! It was all taken over by Southern Water when the Government made it law about three years ago.
mmitch.

Offline Mike Gunnill

Water Supply and Sewage?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 10:43:22 AM »
I moved into a new house and for years paid the standing request from Southern Water.  There is a section where you pay for the water that goes down your street drains. I can't remember the exact wording.  I then found out my street drains are soak-aways and I shouldn't have paid this percent of my account.  They "gladly" refunded that percent I had paid. Might be worth checking.

And it got another virgin forum off and running

Mike   ;)
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >