Author Topic: Walderslade Village  (Read 12697 times)

Offline Hodge

Re: Walderslade Village
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 09:27:56 PM »
I have seen photos/postcards of the area around Walderslade, namely Walderslade Road, Chestnut Avenue and Dargets Road (when they were little more than dirt tracks), but having searched through my books on local history I'm beginning to think I must have seen them on the 'old' Forum. Either that, or they're in a book that I've lent out and which hasn't yet been returned.... :-\

Does anyone else remember these photos on the old Forum?

Offline Dave Smith

Re: Walderslade Village
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 01:01:44 PM »
C261. When my father retired from the Yard in 1958, my parents bought one of those corrugated iron bungalows in Princes Avenue; which was VERY unmade & ran down to Luton. It had a veranda running all the way round but was on a very steep slope, so gardening was very difficult. Across the road was a farm with cattle in the fields. When we returned to Kent to live in Maidstone in 1966, houses had already been built on the farmland and some new bungalows were being built dug into the steep bank- that was the garage with the bungalow built above. I can't remember whether Princes Avenue had been surfaced but if not, it was soon after.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Walderslade Village
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 09:14:02 AM »
I have stood at the top of Magpie Hall Road looking over to the Hook & Hatchet in Walderslade.
That was ALL I saw in 1938 only the Hook & Hatchet + one or two houses next to it.  All the fields
where we used to walk to & play, the exception, was a hill, filled with bungalows, only on the left
hand side. I visited  one bungalow, bottom half made of concrete, top half, corrugated iron.
Walderslade was one of our playgrounds. Later to become, as we watched houses being built,
                                                            The Village of Walderslade