Author Topic: Lightship  (Read 5734 times)

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
Re: Lightship
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 08:18:30 PM »
(OT)  I know just what you mean Pete.  My first year at Durham I was in rooms at the top of the Castle Great Hall and the oak roof beams there had been under cover in a warm dry environment for about 8 centuries.  Hard as granite.  There was no way nails (or drawing pins) would penetrate them, BlueTak was the only option.

pete.mason

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 07:20:52 PM »
i tried to install beer on her, ribs were too hard to drill through  (8mm hole) to run the pipes and the masonary nails on the cable clips just buckled ;D

Archi93

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 02:54:28 PM »
There was a very early wooden one at Borstal Marina in the 70's, no idea if it is still there.
Yes it was LV16 Inner Dowsing. Still seems to be there. Now a hotel by look of web site
https://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/131/light-vessel-16-inner-dowsing
You are right it was a wooden one. We had a staff Christmas meal on it years ago. The deck we were on was a wooden deck slightly curving from one end to the other with a dip in the middle.

pete.mason

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 08:29:54 AM »
There was a very early wooden one at Borstal Marina in the 70's, no idea if it is still there.

Archi93

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 11:37:13 PM »
Yes, ex Trinity House Light Vessel 21. She was there for a while, but after a spat with Medway Council, she was moved to Gravesend.
LV 21 was indeed moored at Gillingham Pier for a while as a floating arts and culture centre. We went to a gig on board her on 21st January 2012, when these photos were taken
We had a real treat as we left the gig. They switched on the powerful lights as it would have been on the light vessel when she was in active service.
LV 21 was used as a Light Vessel on East Goodwin sands, Varne Station off of Dover and Channel station. One photo was taken below deck, preparing for the gig, organised by local events group TEA. Two show the external lights. The other shows Darren Hayman playing a ships piano, which has only 6 octaves instead of 7 or 8, so that it can be taken onto a ship via the small hatches on deck.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 01:56:38 PM »
A lot of information has added since my mistake about the light ship.
Members use their eyes to rectify, then we have an excelent thread.

Offline Stewie

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 07:58:46 AM »
The Ross revenge spent a few years in Tilbury, but is now moored in the River Blackwater off of Maldon. She had a number of other berths previous to this, namely on the end of Southend Pier, opposite the Russian submarine on the River Medway and at Queenborough.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 09:20:26 PM »
We have two vessels here: one moored at Sun Pier and another at Gillingham Pier.  The latter vessel was indeed LV21, I've been on board her the day before she moved on.  See https://lv21.co.uk/ for more info.  IIRC the former vessel had a very different profile, and a notably high mast.  I was under the impression that that was Radio Caroline's ship, the MV Ross Revenge.  See the last two paragraphs of section "3 Ross Revenge runs aground" in the Wikipedia article I cited earlier.
If you are interested in light vessels there are two or three at Hoo Marina, and of course there is the Inner Dowsing (LV16) at Medway Bridge Marina.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 12:57:54 PM »
Yes, ex Trinity House Light Vessel 21. She was there for a while, but after a spat with Medway Council, she was moved to Gravesend.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

johnham

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 11:42:15 AM »
There was a Lightship moored at Gillingham Pier for a while that was not the Ross Revenge.

Offline castle261

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 07:17:12 PM »
You are right -- MartinR -- interesting memories & comments to follow -- no doubt.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 03:57:44 PM »
It wasn't an old lightship, but a trawler, the MV Ross Revenge.  There's an article on her in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Ross_Revenge

Offline castle261

Lightship
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 02:34:49 PM »
I remember an old lightship that was moored in the River Medway, near the Sun Pier.
It was painted red, I believe it was the ship that Radio Caroline broadcast from, at one time.
They say, it had a 200 foot mast, for the aerial.