Travel and Transport > Roads, Tracks and Paths

Castle Road, Chatham

<< < (3/3)

castle261:
Ah! yes - Castle Road - We lived next door to the sweet shop at 263 - she was a lovely old lady - we bought a half penny bag of broken biscuits
from the shop - the biscuits were all lined up in front of the serving counter in metal boxes about 12 inch square. Her name escapes me - at the moment.
I believe we shopped there - for some of our weekly shop. We never used Castle Road much - We used Magpie Hall Road - to walk into town.

johnfilmer:
As I have posted in other threads, my grandmother had a shop at 207 Castle Road, and the family lived next door at 205.
I found this series of photos taken in the back garden of 205, which have a couple of interests to me, firstly the background, or lack of it. This rather bears out the comments by other members of their being able to simple walk over the hill into countryside.
I would love to know the details of the motorbike, an Ariel maybe? Rough date for the photos is 1930, or slightly earlier.
The bike's owner was Clive, the then boyfriend of my Aunt, the (much) shorter of the two sisters hence she was always known as Tich. He may have been in the military, but the only other photo that connects him doesn't show any insignia.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version