Author Topic: Coronavirus. 2020  (Read 30350 times)

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

Re: Coronavirus. 2020
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2020, 11:58:13 AM »
It would be hard to expect much in the way of positive news at the time of a global pandemic.

The UK press is indeed in a strange place right now. I've seen lots of articles praising those brave NHS workers who died. There's been many stories covering folk fund raising for NHS. What about those articles covering the creativity of groups making PPE off their initiative for NHS staff. Here's an example of a positive story in the Daily Mail, which shows the mood of the country and the press being pretty much in synch.(I have some Kent ones saved somewhere).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8281103/amp/Heroic-staff-PPE-just-time-thanks-Mail-Force-charity.html

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2020, 07:42:29 PM »
I had similar question when we shut our church hall for hire. I was asked how long was it to be before we reopened!

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2020, 11:23:00 AM »
It seems that the requirements for a newsreader now are, " can you find the bad news & keep worrying it to death?" e.g.Rolls Royce having to sack many of their workers. I'm sure that, like me the Chief Executive was itching to say, " how the hell should I know" (or something more graphic!) when asked " when are you likely to get back to normal?".

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2020, 07:37:46 PM »
Agreed.  Even before the Covid outbreak the appearance of Kuenssberg or Peston meant that there was nothing of value to say, just an opportunity for self-promotion and point-scoring.

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2020, 07:17:25 PM »
I just listen or read the latest daily Gov't statement and switch channels rather than listen to the questions which are just point scoring or repeating old ones. Sure there will be a time to review the way the situation was handled but surely not yet.

Longpockets

« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2020, 06:31:01 PM »

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2020, 05:27:37 PM »
MartinR. Please don't think I was knocking the NHS, I fully appreciate how difficult it has been & still is, for them; they are obviously top of any list. KeithG. Thoroughly agree, the Government are doing their best & I'm sure no decisions are taken lightly, they have to rely on people who are employed as experts in the subject. Trouble with the media is that no news is good news.

KeithG

« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2020, 02:16:43 PM »

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2020, 11:12:27 AM »
In an interdependent society we all rely on very many groups.  It's nothing new, there's a humorous Scots song pointing out that weavers were essential in c.1800: https://sangstories.webs.com/warkotheweavers.htm Once you start on the list it will grow to encompass most of the workforce: mariners, dockers, electricity workers, rail, gas, shops (vital link between the farmer and my stomach), sewers, undertakers - the list is nearly endless.  The special praise that the front line care staff have been getting is in recognition of them going into hazardous places (ICUs) and taking risks with their health.  Rather like the front line soldiers who go into combat.  Nothing to decry the "back room boys", but the risks at Bletchley Park were rather less than those at Gold Beach.  Likewise working hard in the open air largely on your own is a lot safer than crowding around an intensive care bed.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2020, 10:26:04 AM »
We have seen lots of " thank yous" to various groups of workers & I'm certainly not decrying any of them but I've seen nothing about agricultural workers- our Land Army. They're still doing their 07.30 -18.30, 6 & 7 days a week, up here in SW Scotland & I'm sure elsewhere, to keep us fed with fresh vegetables, milk, meat, etc. We're also probably getting quite a lot from the Continent ( M2 & M20 busy as ever?). Certainly the A75 from (Belfast)/ Stranraer is still fairly busy, so Eire & N.I. are still exporting. So, here's to the agricultural workers & farmers, plus all the associated lorry drivers., without whom life would be extremely difficult. "Good on You".

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2020, 01:41:28 PM »
mmitch -- That`s only one & a half rolls, per person, in Britain !

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2020, 12:08:23 PM »
Evidently there are some people in Australia that are now trying to return the loo rolls for a refund.  Cheeky buggers!

Offline mmitch

« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2020, 11:37:14 AM »

Once upon a time I worked for a firm that sold tissue. I day I unloaded 4 artics full of loo rolls.....!
I understand there is a warehouse in the midlands that always has 84 million loo rolls in stock.....
mmitch.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2020, 06:19:36 PM »
The strange thing for me, is that during the lock-down I have started to go out for a morning walk. I really enjoy that time alone.
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

pete.mason

« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2020, 02:05:26 PM »
They've written us off already!!! Having said that social services rang me a couple of days ago, how were we, any problems with getting food or meds, any worries, had we contingency plans if I got sick etc etc