Author Topic: Upper Bell Blue Bell Hill  (Read 12059 times)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
Re: Upper Bell Blue Bell Hill
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 03:19:53 PM »
It didn't help I guess, though the Lower Bell was still open and apparently thriving the last time I was out that way.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

KeithG

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 03:17:41 PM »
Yes that is correct stuart...

Coincidentally when my Stepmother died in 2014 Cremation at Robin Hood Lane and Buffet at the Robin Hood Pub afterwards and of course the route took us to turn right opposite this pub and by then it had just been flattened...i took a picture of it but can`t look at it anymore because of the such good times i had in there.
At one time i would of bought it but came to my senses as it was run down.....i suppose the re-route of the main road finished it off?

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 03:12:37 PM »
I read on the old forum that the pub was demolished without planning permission. There were signs on the hoardings around the site saying 'No photography' during the demolition. I think I posted that although they can prevent photography on the site, they can't stop you taking photographs from outside the site boundary. I haven't read of any action taken against the developer for demolishing the building without planning permission.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

KeithG

Upper Bell Blue Bell Hill
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 01:42:51 PM »
This Pub was our scooterists haunt every Saturday night for about 18 months from Summer 1964
There were approx. 10 of us when all together but of course some did their own thing...I suppose we chose this place as it was out the way on the main bus route to Maidstone and we could all have a good ride home, first one back at Frindsbury Fish Shop afterwards had free sausage and chips. Good times were had in the room where those three windows are on the side a Pool Table and Jukebox.

Sometimes we would go to the Lower Bell and then at 10.30pm closing time because of Maidstone Rules rush up the hill for another pint in the Upper Bell 11.00pm Medway Licensing Rules

One time a Pool player was over enthusiastic and the ball shot off the table and rolled down the four assembled table that were all put together to form a long surface and my mates Pint was standing on the far end. It was all like slow motion and the ball roll all the way down the table and smashed his pint and beer everywhere ...it was just like skittles...the place went ecstatic and mad because of this and the rest of the Pub bars were wondering what on earth had happened.

On the Jukebox they had Tokyo Melody the tune for the 1964 Olympics and i am waiting now to see if in Tokyo in 2021 they have a similar tune?

Anyway a super pub at the time made all the better with such good friendly staff and the licensee...