Author Topic: `Public Cleaning `  (Read 3263 times)

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Re: `Public Cleaning `
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 02:00:24 PM »
We got time off of school to attend with our mother`s, a clinic in New Road Rochester,
at the top of Star Hill, where we had our dose of cod liver oil & malt. An Academy now

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 06:44:51 PM »
Remember the winter of 1947.Milk bottles cardboard caps pushed up on top of an inch of frozen milk.Brought in and put on the open fire guard to thaw out.Some bottles would have split and drip. Cries of "Teacher Milk" whereupon she would decant offending bottles into a huge enamel jug. Senior pupils had their milk from the jug in a cup. Us plebs had to make do with a paper straw that went soggy before the bottle was empty.At least it took the taste of the CodLiverOil &Malt administered on the communal desert spoon away..... ,no Elf and Safety then !.We all survived :)

Offline castle261

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 06:06:34 PM »
I was a milk monitor too at Glencoe Road School, with a green shield badge.
Made you think, you were someone special !

KeithG

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 05:46:36 PM »
I was one of a few milk monitors at Temple School in 1961and all our milk was kept outside and only brought in when going to be used. Very rarely frozen even then as it was kept protected from frost etc.

Ours were third of pint also as i believe was the norm but we always had extras.

Offline castle261

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 01:56:09 PM »
I had one third of a pint of milk in the morning break & one in the afternoon break. Priviledged ?

Online MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 09:21:41 AM »
The other day at a motorway service station the kids adult offspring were having a can of something.  The straws looked familiar, they were the spiral waxed paper type I remember drinking milk from in childhood.  To misquote Orwell: "paper good, plastic bad".  Does anyone else remember attempting to unwind the spiral?

Offline pr1uk

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 07:34:11 AM »

At my first school, pupils were virtually forced to drink milk from one third/pint bottles, which were supplied daily. Unfortunately, it didn`t agree with everyone as it made them vomit. The result was quickly covered with a pink powder which created an odour which I`ve never forgotten and still don`t know what it was.

The milk brings back memories it used to arrive in winter nice and cold and drinkable then left near radiators until it was warm and really undrinkable no wonder a lot of us felt sick.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 01:05:19 PM »
Diapason, I remember the same sort of thing happening at my infant school, but instead of pink powder they used sawdust.

Offline Diapason

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 03:34:39 PM »

At my first school, pupils were virtually forced to drink milk from one third/pint bottles, which were supplied daily. Unfortunately, it didn`t agree with everyone as it made them vomit. The result was quickly covered with a pink powder which created an odour which I`ve never forgotten and still don`t know what it was.

Offline castle261

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 01:16:08 PM »
We used to play cricket, on our hill, then sometimes the tennis ball would roll down the hill.
and into the open drain. By `open` I mean the the kerbstone was removed, to make the
water run freely. I was often `chosen`to retrieve the ball. We made a hoop out of wire,
then my arm went down the drain with the wire hoop, looped it under the ball, lifted it out,
gently. We came to no harm, so the pink powder did it`s job.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 08:05:48 PM »
There are a lot of myths surrounding the use of DDT. Fact is, there is no recorded evidence of any human fatalities connected to the use of DDT, even people who tried to commit suicide using it were unsuccessful! I think the pink powder may have been Jeyes sanitary powder which was used as a disinfectant. I believe you may still be able to get it, although I'm not sure if it's still pink :)

Offline Howardws

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 06:55:53 PM »

Offline castle261

`Public Cleaning `
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 02:33:36 AM »

From the old site. The dustbin lorries had three openings on each side with a sliding door,
that pulled down in my young days. Drains were cleared by a man with a horse & cart.
He had a long scoop to take the muck out of the drain, then he sprinkled pink powder all
round the drain ----- Era 1936.