Military History > Miscellaneous Military History

V2 rocket site excavation

<< < (2/7) > >>

Lyn L:
Well I don't profess to be any good at all with V2  rockets,  but only have second hand knowledge of any bombing ( born after it was all over) but strangely my eldest brother  today mentioned them being bombed out of their house  in September 1944.
 It wasn't locally though, they were living in Walthamstow, but part of a V2 innards went through the roof. They had to go and live with my Grandad then in Hampshire.
I believe it was a ball shaped thing ?
Please tell me what it could have been all you people who are in the know .  :-*

stuartwaters:
And as if by magic, the text is now bigger, and whats more important, readable.

Dave Smith:
Cosmo. Don't worry, I downloaded your line of small dashes ok. As you say, quite often one thread leads to another. e.g. Stuart has often already done the extra bit when he does his bit on ships for suddenly there's a whole new bit about the reason & history, just as interesting; sometimes more so. Very interesting article about fuses. Don't forget explosions, being mechanical, are not in fact as we think of them, "instantaneous", just VERY rapid burning. We're talking thousandths of a second, which is very short. eg, the V2 has gone 1m in 11/4 thousandths of a second, whereas WW1 shell travels 1m in 2 thousandths of a second from the start of the burning process. Designing such a thing- where do you start? Must be done by trial & error methinks.

Local Hiker:
Cosmo Smallpiece, there is a "Remove formatting" button in the toolbar that might restore such small text to a readable size.

Cosmo Smallpiece:
Link to the fuse thing below. Don't know why the link sometimes goes so tiny from this mobile phone? Sorry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._106_fuze

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version