Industry > Agriculture

GROVE END FARM, Tunstall. Nr Sittingbourne.

<< < (2/2)

Smiffy:
grandarog, nice to see these pictures - my great grandfather had a farm near Lamberhurst Quarter, but unfortunately I have no photographs that show it, or any of the family from that time. One of ten children, my grandfather went on to become a master butcher with his own business in Deal. I don't know how the family connection with the farm itself ended but it's still there and survives as a working farm.

grandarog:
Dave Smith,
Borden Grammar School hasn't gone it moved to the New building in Remembrance Avenue in 1919.
No the farm stopped growing hops when dad retired.. Granny with 11 children also had the 3 Stable lads lodging with the family in the house to look after..I think dad was the only one that stayed in farming The others as you say diversified into all sorts from Solicitors to Carpenters, Shop owners,Warehouse men ,Clerks  and general Labourers . Most of the girls went "into Service" .One Aunt Emily saw through both world wars in London as a cook House Keeper to gentry. Only John died in WW1 the other 4 all survived .My dad was badly wounded but survived to live to 90.The picture below is Tom's Wife Martha who reared all 11 kids.. Standing by the door of the Farmhouse.

Back to topic with next post.

Dave Smith:
grandarog. So Borden Grammar has gone, like Gillingham County( I know this is off topic but i don't want to start another just for that). I find your family history fascinating & so comprehensive.  I know families were big in those days but 11 children must have been exceptional. Did they all, or most, end up " working the land" or did they spread afar into an urban environment? No doubt many of the boys ended up in the " Great War", many making the supreme sacrifice. Does the farm still grow hops?

grandarog:
The small boy on the fence is my Dad with his siblings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version