Military History > Castles, Forts and other fortified places

Fort Amherst, Chatham

<< < (5/5)

Local Hiker:
MartinR, the the upper, outer levels that are part of the Great Lines Heritage Park, are accessible.
There are good cinder tracks, and slopes rather than steps.
The main slope from the lower car park up to the top is fairly steep: I do not know how the torque of a scooter would cope.
Some of the nooks and crannies to explore have a few steps, but no distance from the main paths, so if you can walk short distances, it should all be accessible for you.
The cinder paths go out to the War Memorial, so that is also accessible on a scooter, then on out over the Great Lines too.
There are plenty of benches and some picnic tables to rest on.
I think you would manage as long as the scooter copes with the main slope.

MartinR:
Realistically, how accessible is the fort these days for a mobility scooter?  I can walk short distances.

epsom:

Hi Local Hiker,
The official opening is on the 19th September this will then allow access to the Barrier road area previously used as storage, and the the area known as the unrestored A lot of work has been done to open up this area of the fort for use. A lot of brickwork repairs have been done to consolidate the walls in various areas the sunkan courtyard has now been turned into a amphitheatre which can be used for all sorts of things from concerts etc to plays. New pathways have also been installed as well the tenile area will be used for allotments by various groups although some areas still look untidy I was impressed byt the amount of work that has been done by the builders and the fort staff.

Local Hiker:
The Spur Battery at Fort Amherst should be opening in September.
 The overground site was closed when I visited on August 16th, to facilitate a crane lifting large items onto the Spur Battery that would not fit through the access tunnel.
 I spoke to a Fort Amherst Facebook moderator to query the site closure. The information was given by the helpful person who answered me.
 I have followed the Facebook page to get up-to-date information on developments at the fort.

https://www.facebook.com/fortamherstuk/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version