Author Topic: Perry Wood Selling and the pulpit  (Read 1347 times)

Offline John Walker

Re: Perry Wood Selling and the pulpit
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 01:46:46 AM »
Thanks for the info Grandarog.  I'm now thinking that there is some info in Rose and Crown about it.

I have this photo taken from the pulpit showing the benches where the locals were 'preached' to.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
Re: Perry Wood Selling and the pulpit
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 12:40:34 PM »
The Pulpit at Southern end of the wood has fascinated folks for years. Its history is a bit of a mystery .Built in the early 1800's, it has been replaced and rebuilt several times over the years. Is thought to be so-named because sermons were once preached from there!No-one is sure but it’s likely that it was built To survey the grand Sheldwich LeesCourt Estate to the West.

Offline John Walker

Perry Wood Selling and the pulpit
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 10:51:33 AM »
I took my grandchildren to Perry Wood yesterday, Selling and we walked to the 'Pulpit'.  They asked why it was there.   I think I remember reading that someone used to preach from there on Sundays and there was some connection with a minor uprising.  It was known as the 'Drawing Room' and had a semi-circle of benches around it.

I can't find anything online, so wondered if any of our knowledgeable members can help.  Thanks

ps.  Nice pint of rich Blackshore Stout on tap in the Rose and Crown while I was in Perry Wood.