Author Topic: Upnor Castle  (Read 3956 times)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
Re: Upnor Castle
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2021, 08:07:50 PM »
That was a few years ago, late 1990's. I was one of those Sealed Knotters.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2021, 06:41:42 PM »
I went to Upnor Castle when the Sealed Knot Society were performing quite - a few years ago now.

Longpockets

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 09:08:49 AM »
Thank you. Possibly, just wondered if any of our members who had a connection to Upnor Castle knew their true purpose.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 08:54:30 PM »
Perhaps that's what they're for  8)
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Longpockets

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 08:25:27 PM »

Thanks stuartwaters for your input, it's a possibility but.

They are on the riverside of the building and run incrementally along its length across where the hoist is and finish by the staircase. They are positioned as if to number a row across the building.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 03:03:12 PM »
Would it be possible they were there to indicate the maximum number of barrels which could be stacked on top of each other - to prevent overloading the floor?

It makes sense that any metal fittings in the powder storage area to be made from brass, copper or lead. The wearing of hobnailed boots in the area would also have been banned.

Longpockets

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 08:34:40 AM »
Martin R, not really, I appreciate I have answered why they are copper but I would still like to know the reason they are there.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 10:13:10 PM »
You've answered your own question really.  Copper will not spark.  Most of the materials there are wood, copper or lead.  Steel or iron might create a spark if a worker had a stone lodged in their shoe.

Longpockets

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 07:22:03 PM »
Many thanks Lyn L, not a silly answer at all, could possibly be the solution. They do extend the full length of the space. Why copper?

Most of the other metal work there is composed of material that does not have the possibility of causing a spark. Not sure English Heritage would add anything to the building without good reason, they do tend to be very protective of keeping the fabric as correct as possible.

I did ask the property stewards and they did not know why.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 09:17:40 AM »
May be a silly answer , but could they just be markers for where the barrels are placed in rows for weddings ? My son was married there  4yrs ago and what a great day that was.

Longpockets

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 08:57:59 AM »
Many thanks for the photographs but they were not like those shown.

These were in the floor spaced out along the length of the building thus, with some distance between each group.

x

xx

xxx

xxxx

xxxxx

Offline jimawilliams

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 09:22:25 PM »
2nd photo

Offline jimawilliams

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 09:21:23 PM »
These photos were taken in 2003, maybe they will help in identifying the location of what you saw.  One photo shows what appears to be pins/nails attaching cladding to a cover from a window opening.  Maybe these are similar to what you saw? I have higher definition copies if needed.  Also more pictures of the same area.

Longpockets

Upnor Castle
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 08:53:06 PM »
Visiting Upnor Castle a few years ago in the upper floor of what was the powder store (where weddings are now held) I came across what appeared to be the heads of oversized drawing pins which were copper rather than brass. They were arranged in groups of lines down the length of the building, starting with one stud and increasing two, three etc. side by side as if they were denoting a row of stored materials.

Anyone have any idea what they were for please?