Author Topic: The Queen  (Read 2049 times)

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
Re: The Queen
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 09:03:37 AM »
Must have been 1951.  In September 1951 the late King had his left lung removed and in November of that year was too ill to attend the State Opening of Parliament.  He died on 6 February 1952.

pete.mason

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 08:36:34 AM »
Not sure what year , 1951 or 2 we lived in Cobham close Strood and remember being taken to see the King drive past down Watling St, Guessing it  was a Dockyard visit, anyone able to confirm the date?

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 10:51:38 PM »
My mate and I were at the County show ,1989 I think, the year that the Queen and Duke,(Prince Phillip) opened it. During the afternoon as we approached where one of the exit roads crossed a walkway, we were stopped with others, by a lone Policeman, who said stand still the Queen is coming.We were stood slightly behind him when the open top car with Q and D on board approached he extended his arms across the front of us. Spontaneously we both grabbed his arms and waved them up and down as the car went by. The Queen burst out laughing, nudged the Duke as they passed and he looked back over his shoulder and grinned. Copper saw the funny side as well luckily for us. We had a natter with him and said how easy it would have been to drop a grenade in the car as it passed. Couldn,t happen these days .

Offline mmitch

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 04:06:36 PM »
The first time I saw the Queen it was the winter of 52/53 when all the floods had happened. She was touring the damaged area and came to Gravesend. We were all let out early from school and lined the road. I remember thinking how young she looked. Not much older than my big sister.....
mmitch.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 03:45:09 PM »
We had real cups & saucers - While waiting for the Queen to arrive - I had my camera ready 
then as she came through the gate - I dropped my camera - so I was occupied with trying
to put the back on - when a lady in yellow said `can I help ` so we spent some time - repairing
the camera. I found out later - it was the Lord Lieutenant of Kent`s wife - While waiting for her
car -  the Queen found there was time to spare - so she came to speak to me - again.

P.S. had to borrow a suit for the Palace - I only used to wear blazer and trousers then.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 01:50:13 PM »
Sounds like you had a whale of a time. My wife met the Queen when she visited Brompton Barracks in 2007. The Queen arrived by helicopter, landing on the Garrison Sports Ground and went from there to the barracks by car.

The soldiers had prepared all number of exhibits for her to see on the parade square and the brass had prepared a carefully planned and timed itinerary for her. My wife, as a cleaner at the barracks, was helping out with a tea and snacks stand on the parade square. When the Queen got out of the car, one of her flunkeys tried to guide her towards the exhibits and the assembled suits and senior Army officers, but it seemed that Her Majesty was dying for a cuppa and made a beeline for the tea stand instead, where she had a cup of tea out of a polystyrene mug like everyone else, much to the dismay of the Army brass and assembled dignitaries. It seemed that a formal tea had been arranged in the Officers Mess, but the Queen seemed more interested in talking to the assembled soldiers, their families and civilian workers and the formal tea in the Officers Mess had to wait.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
The Queen
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 12:10:13 PM »
1994 - the Queen visited Medway - she visited our place - we lined up - to be introduced -
The Queen came to me ` what do you do `she asked - I told her -  after we had tea with her - she
toured the place - entered one building to inspect it - then It got dark - the car came for her -
to take her to Rochester station - then back to London - I heard no more until a few years on -
when a letter came through my letter box in 2002 - from the Lord Chamberlain.
It was an invitation to the Queen Garden Party in July - I excepted the invitation (no one else did
I was taken to Buckingham Palace by train (all paid for ) where I mixed with all sorts of people -
 on the magnificent lawn - two bands playing light music - the Queen appeared a lone - talking to
people in a roped area - then she went into a large margue - tea # sandwiches + cakes - were
 to be had - you have to be quick to bag a table - I am told - I sat on a chair I grabbed - earlier.
At 4.00pm the party was coming to close- as people started leaving - I walked through the
Palace, coming out through the sentry arch into the main courtyard - then walked to Victoria.