Aviation History > Miscellaneous Aviation History

V I - Timer.

<< < (2/5) > >>

Cosmo Smallpiece:
When and where was this? Sounds like a scene from Dad's Army! 😂

pete.mason:
I did my A3 course with some RAF armourers from various ranges & bomb dumps. All the kit they had on the ranges were a mini van, 100 fathoms of rope , a rifle and 5 rounds. The bombs were mostly practice but still capable of causing injury. Theory was to tie the bomb to the van and bounce it along the beach, if that failed take potshots at it.

Cosmo Smallpiece:
The book may have been Danger UXB by James Owen? There's a review online mentioning acid as one of many early experimental ways of dealing with early war bomb fuses. Doesn't seem like it worked successfully then? Other early methods were pounding and shooting at the bomb fuses!

mmitch:
As I remember reading it, the disposal men couldn't get the fuse out so decided to find some acid. Nearby was a girl's school so they found sulphuric acid in the science cupboard! It was some time ago that I read about it. It was in a book from the library about bomb disposal in WW2 that the title now escapes me!
mmitch.

Dave Smith:
Cosmo. A very interesting set of pictures, thanks. It seems the fuses were belt, braces & string, just in case!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version