Author Topic: Cycling clubs in Kent  (Read 6071 times)

Offline Dave Smith

Re: Cycling clubs in Kent
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2020, 11:39:17 AM »
CAT. I completely agree with your last sentence. I smiled at your reference to clocks, etc. To retain your amateur status, all prizes were "things", no money.The Bianchi would certainly be a collectors item now.

Offline CAT

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2020, 04:08:00 PM »
Bare in mind, both he and his wife were totally cycling mad, with the grandfather logging ever mile he cycled throughout his day/week/month/year and life in a series of notebooks still retained by the inlaws. He would cycle at least 60-80 miles each day, weather permitting, and if not, the engineers at the Middlesbrough Bridge Yard, where he worked all his life, made him a stand with tensioners to increase friction for use in the kitchen. He was a committed participant in time trials and appeared to win almost every preWWII medal, trophy, clock etc. on offer, all of which now litter both my, and the inlaws houses. The Bianchi bike he won is still hanging in the rafters of the inlaws barn.

I'm sure it must have taken longer for the total journey, but still a mammoth journey done in very few days. 

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2020, 03:51:55 PM »
CAT. Just had another read of your post & thought deeply about it. I'm sorry to say it but " shooting a line" - as we used to say- comes to mind! One word gives it away, " wife". HE may have been super fit, although I honestly doubt Canterbury to Middlesborough ( at least 330 miles) in a day- in time for tea! But with his wife, sorry but no way. "Gods own country" Yorkshire might be but how could he not be impressed by Canterbury Cathedral & Dover Castle? And if it was Spring time, all the miles of orchard blossom in Kent in those days- from my memory, it really was the "Garden of England".

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2020, 10:22:44 AM »

Amazing effort on their behalf CAT. Great county Yorkshire that I've spent a fair bit of time in but not sure I could ever have done that mileage even when young and fit. Although some of those young maidens in Scarborough I knew may have enticed me to better efforts. :)
Got to agree DS about Perth drivers, absolutely shocking with no skills or consideration.
And the worst time of day is..... school in and out time when mums take their horrid children to and from. One of the teachers at the local private Catholic school has the same sort of attitude and gave me the finger after I'd held back to allow him on his bike to negotiate a roundabout safely.
They pass that attitude to their pupils as many of the older ones drive their own "tank" to school and their behaviour to others is woeful.
I may well buy a electric bike but only for those cycle paths where the morons can't get to me. :)
AlanH.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2020, 03:39:26 PM »
CAT. That was some ride, but they were like that in those days. Slightly off thread, but I think interesting. When I was a Civilian Instructor in the ATC, an elderly chap joined us who'd been in the RAF during WW2. But, before that, he'd been an AA man based on the Great North Road at Grantham with a bicycle! His patch was 10 miles North & 10 miles South. All day, every day.

Offline CAT

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2020, 01:23:25 PM »
This reminds me of a story told to me by my wife's grandfather, who despite not coming from Kent, had a rare three day holiday from the Bridgeyard by cycling from Middlesbrough (he was a strict Yorkshireman) to Dover 'to see what t'south was all about'. After cycling with his wife down the A1 to overnight in London on the first day, they proceeded to Canterbury for lunch before carrying on to Dover and back to overnight in Canterbury on the second day. Not being the slight bit impressed they cycled back to Middlesbrough on the third day to be home for tea. This was all pre WWII and the few photos that were taken show a very deserted A1. This was done on a hand built Bianchi cycle he won in a previous cycling competition which consisted of racing from Middlesbrough to Blackpool and back as face as possible.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2020, 10:47:19 AM »
AlanH. I wouldn't dare go out on a bicycle now- or for the past 50 years. Afraid motorists mostly haven't been cyclists so are completely unaware. My daughter says she is fearful of her daughter in Pert as the Australians are not considerate drivers- worse than here. When we went on club runs in Kent, very few cars & not driving recklessly at all, so it was quite safe, even on country lanes. Of course, as I was reminded on the TV " all creatures great & small" - theirs was an Austin 7, cars were so much smaller then; at least a foot narrower.

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2020, 10:29:43 AM »

I know what you mean DaveS, I still watch bits about cycling but feel being on the roads these days is much more dangerous than it was 60 plus years ago. Too many self  centred incompetent loonies around.
Drivers out here (Oz) have to be seen to be believed. :(
Many cycle paths but those that use them seem to have much the same attitude towards others that they have when driving their cars.
So it's not for me and at 76 I think that's the best way. :)
But memories brought back by others on this forum and the previous one are great and I thank you all.
AlanH.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2020, 07:32:27 PM »
H Alan. I didn't necessarily mean " physically" a cyclist, just for ever interested in- follow latest trends & equipment, records, Tour de France, Tour of Btitain, etc., etc. I understood what you meant- Mavic. I forgot to say that when at St Athan I had 27" alloys with D'Allesando tubs & Eureka gears. For grass track, a cheap 26" fixed, with Dunlop 10.  Grandarog. Most interesting about the De Laune Cycling Club, thanks. A fair run from S. London to Newnham but a lovely ride. I also read the Club History, where it mentioned Herne Hill track & " rattling the boards". In my day, H.H. was smooth concrete ( boards usually were indoors for obvious reasons).

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2020, 12:24:18 PM »
After reading all about cycles / frames / gears / saddles - my head is in a whirl.
I was never one for clubs - except for one - & that was not for cycling -- I cycled at my own speed.
Never for a minute thought of joining any cycling club. The only thing was I took longer to get any-
where - than them - I enjoyed the country side. I did join one club ` Rochester United Skating Club.

That is another story -- Roller Hockey.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2020, 11:57:51 AM »
There is Plaque on the Wall of Newnham Church commemorating a cycle club .Why its there is explained on this link.
                                         http://www.delaunecc.org/history.htm

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2020, 11:23:26 AM »

Hi DS.
"One a cyclist always a cyclist"! Not sure about that as the last time I rode a bike which must have been at least 20 years ago, I fell off through braking too hard with the front brake. :( Now my legs are knackered through various ailments I may be tempted to get an electric bike .....
By the way, my brakes were actually Mafac centre pull not Marvic as I said. Had no trouble with the Gnutti gear that I remember. Plus I think I may have accidentally inflated the price of my bike to include the rims given me by my elder bro.
I think it was about '57 I joined the Rochester Velo Cub Olympic.
Just remembered another club members name... Bert Wakeham. You should have seen that man go on his Cinelli if there was a sign of rain on the horizon. :)
AlanH.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2020, 11:09:36 AM »

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2020, 11:42:20 AM »

Hi Dave Smith. I had Mavic centre pull brakes, Fiammi rims, Campag gears, Gnutti chain gear, Ideal French saddle (far better than the bum cutter Brooks)  and virtually everything foreign made back then except for Dunlop tubes.
Whole bike less wheels (given to me by elder bro) cost 33 quid.... a huge sum back then but I managed to pay for it with my earnings of 10 bob a week and then my apprenticeship wages from Blaw Knox....about 18 shillings at age 15 or 16 but it got better later.
Took a long time maybe about 2 or 3 years but I loved cycling everywhere including passing those old buses going up Chatham Hill at nought miles and hour. :)
Happy days and the hard work never killed me.
Cheers.
AlanH

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2020, 06:01:57 PM »
Hi LynL,yes naughty geting of topic,but enjoying 😁