Author Topic: German and Italian POW's as Farmhands.  (Read 1406 times)

Offline mmitch

Re: German and Italian POW's as Farmhands.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 10:38:31 AM »
In Gravesend, Valley drive had Prefab homes built along one side. These were erected by Italian PoWs
I don't know where their camp was but the airfield was nearby.
mmitch.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2023, 01:49:18 PM »
The Walderslade camp is clearly visible on Google Earth. There's nothing I can find around Iwade, but there is something in the general area that looks like it could be the camp grandarog is referring to just northeast of Kemsley station.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 07:49:24 PM »
There was I believe - an Italian prisoner of war camp in Walderslade.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 07:32:16 PM »
This subject was covered in an episode of "The Darling Buds of May" (the one with David Jason in the lead role). One of Pop Larkin's farm labourers was a German ex-Prisoner of War and the episode dealt with how the character was treated by the locals when they found out who he really was.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
German and Italian POW's as Farmhands.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 03:47:34 PM »
During WW2, my Uncle had several POW,s working on his farm.I believe they were Italian.As a very small boy at the time I remember them playing with me and being given shoulder rides by a couple of them. Does any one know if there are any lists of names or indications of how or where the POW,s were distributed to Farmers.
On line info is mainly about Camps .Though claiming the lists are complete .The large Camp at Iwade ,Sittingbourne is not mentioned at all.(or not found by me)