Author Topic: Dover Promenade Pier  (Read 2931 times)

Longpockets

Re: Dover Promenade Pier
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 04:45:03 PM »
johnfilmer,

On a google search for pope's hall, pope's hall farm is shown as a result from an house sales site from where you can view the entrance. It matches your photograph.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 09:48:55 AM »
I found a photo that I took of part of the Popes Hall entrance for an old Guess the Place. The metal fencing to the side matches that in Pier2 from alkamhills. So it is the right place, but no gates.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline Diapason

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 09:11:52 AM »
I don`t know how I came by this photo, but I think it may be of interest.

Offline alkhamhills

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 08:11:56 PM »
Some more pics

Offline alkhamhills

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 07:52:12 PM »
See attached. Cannot say where I found this article many moons ago.
My interest in the pier was the demolition by Dover Industries, where my G/father was works foreman, and was involved in the demolition

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 06:02:35 PM »
Do you know why the pier was closed, was it structurally unsound or something?

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 06:00:10 PM »
There are two stone gate posts at the road entrance to Popes Hall, but no gates.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline alkhamhills

Dover Promenade Pier
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 10:30:43 AM »
In 1880 the Dover Promenade and Pier Company was formed to build the pier?completed in 1893 and a pavilion added at end of pier in 1901. 900 feet long, and 100 feet wide at the end where the Pavilion was built. . The  pavilion would accommodate 1,000 people, with an auditorium, stage, dining room and top deck promenade It offered proper promenade facilities and summer concerts.The pier designed by a competition winner , Mr Webster of Liverpool (?100 prize). During WW1, the Navy took it over as a Landing Stage The body of Nurse Cavell was landed here circa 1919, and also Cpt Fryatt,  Belgian hero of  SS Brussels who was captured and executed by
the Germans after the raid on Zeebrugge. The pier was never re-opened to the Public
  In 1927 A O Hill Ltd (later Dover Industries Ltd) were responsible for dismantling Dover Promenade & Pier. Two auctions were held June & July 1927 to sell the pier structure. Two of the pier gates survive at Pope?s Hall, Lenham