Author Topic: Soldier of the Empire.  (Read 1594 times)

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
Re: Soldier of the Empire.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 01:48:39 PM »
Thanks for info MartinR. How funny ,I didn' t know my friend Mike Gunnill had done that article on George back in 2014.First time i have seen it.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
Re: Soldier of the Empire.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 12:22:33 PM »
A quick duckduckgo reveals three websites mentioning him:Site 1 has a nice picture of the memorial.  Site 2 looked rather familiar ...! ;)   Site 3 has more information.
It is a good point though that the cut-off for remembrance is always 1914.  The trouble though is that if you start pushing back to include the Boer Wars, then what about Crimea, Napoleon ... Bosworth Field ... 1066 (*3)?  Practically, the records and graves for the Boer War are mostly known whereas others are, I'm afraid, usually unknow in some "foreign field".

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
Soldier of the Empire.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 11:51:38 AM »
This is an article I wrote for our Village Magazine some time ago..Hope it is of interest to you.

SOLDIER OF THE EMPIRE FROM UPCHURCH

SOLDIER REST, THY WARFARE O'ER . REST IN SLEEP THAT KNOWS NO WAKING, AWAY NEATH AFRICA'S SHORE .THE LAST REVEILLE WAITING.
        As you made your way around to St Mary’s Burial Ground for the second part of the Remembrance Service on Sunday  you may have noticed the grave to your left with a cross. (Next to the Muggeridge Family Grave.)

The Grave commemorates this brave chap from Upchurch and his Wife and Infant child.
 George Wilson Sellen. Private 2294, Grenadier Guards. 2nd Battalion South Africa Field Division
        George is also remembered on the Guards Memorial at Windsor.
        George was Born at Park Road Sittingbourne ,the son of George and Betty Sellen .Baptised 6 Nov 1870,at Holy Trinity Church ,Sittingbourne.He Married a local Upchurch lass. Edith Agnes Muggeridge on the 27th November 1894.They had a Son Reginald George born 1895, who tragically died at 4 mths.
         George and his compatriots sailed on the 18 March 1900 from Southampton on board the SS Dunera. Bound for South Africa to fight the Boers. The Guards fought many Battles through South Africa, until finally capturing Harrismith in August 1900.
        The climate and disease’s at Harrismith had a devastating effect on our troops. Although some died from wounds, many died from Dysentery or Typhoid.
        George was one of 321 of his fellow soldiers who lost their lives at Harrismith Hospital .
        He died aged 30 on 16 Dec 1900. He along with the others are buried at the Harrismith Town Cemetery. South Africa.

Please give a prayer for George, as he is never mentioned at the Remembrance Service ,when the WW1 and 2 Names are intoned.

A lovely friend of mine who had cause to visit the Cemetery recently very kindly managed to locate Georges Grave and photographed his Marker Cross for me. His Initial is given as J not G. Explanation being George in Afrikaans is Jorge.