Author Topic: Evening News Printing Office Rochester  (Read 4889 times)

Offline AlanTH

Re: Evening News Printing Office Rochester
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 11:18:22 AM »

Can't remember the Evening News place Walls Ice Cream was just up Star Hill on the right. Selling ice creams cornets etc. from one of their vans was just one of the many jobs I had in what could be termed a "varied career". :)
Started there one  Saturday morning in the 60s along with a young Irish lad we went up to Weedswood and Wayfield estates to flog our wares and did we cop some abuse from some of the awful women that lived there because we didn't have soft serve only the hard block cornets.
We took a few bob, got fed up with the whole thing so took the van back and walked over to the Star Inn and drank the proceeds. Never heard from Walls again.
AlanTH.

KeithG

Re: Evening News Printing Office Rochester
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 03:51:50 PM »
Yes... the ice cream place was just around the corner up Star Hill. On the right were some double black gates that led down to a large courtyard and ice cream vans were also there as I used to go with my best mate on Sundays selling ices. Got into trouble sometimes selling on others pitches so we used to just shoot off quick.
The gates were either by No. 16 or 20 or maybe even just as you shoot off to Delce.... not easy to be accurate now as there is even a new build behind some gates?

Offline shoot999

Re: Evening Standard Printing Office Rochester
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 02:41:27 PM »
Did an evening  paper round from there early 60s. Only lasted a week as I was earning more packing up  for the market traders on a friday evening.
If memory serves there was also an ice cream place in the same area. Some of the lads would do a paper round then  push the old ice cream carts around the streets on a summers day.

KeithG

Evening News Printing Office Rochester
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 01:31:31 PM »
This office used to hire us scooter owners to deliver the Evening News on a Saturday at 5pm to all the local Newspaper shops within the area. This was the quickest way in the congested Medway Towns at this time of day to get the papers to the shops.

Reason why was because all the Football Results came out by 5pm and all hell let loose to sell more papers rather than people just see it on the TV.

The office also had their own scooter a blue Lambretta 150cc with a large yellow box on the back for the large amount of papers.
We just had a paper round type of canvass bag which was put in our metal carriers on the back of the bike. It was good fun also using up Saturdays and meeting other friends with bikes who worked there.

The premises in Victoria Street off Star Hill Rochester was at the rear of the then Conservative Club down in the cellar part. You can see it in the GSV picture but they have altered the brickwork and the large wide door which was on the right has been done away with. The white and black vehicles on the left backed against the wall is where the picture of the group of bikes are.

Looking from Star Hill you can make out the advertising hoardings which is B&W picture of my bike back behind them. In Colour you can see why i chose Orange as our house was the only orange painted one in the street. The Reg. Number is August 1964 when the County Council used up some odd registrations.