Author Topic: Two Wartime Aircraft.  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Dave Smith

Re: Two Wartime Aircraft.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 08:05:12 PM »
Two Merlins, side by side. As mmitch says, probably refuelling after- or before, I would suggest, an air show. Many years ago, I was at Kissimmee in the States, standing by the pool when suddenly," that's a Merlin", so I scanned the sky for a possible Spitfire & suddenly appeared a Mustang on finals, going into the local airport.   

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 12:59:53 PM »
Thank you  mmitch as you say, probably in transit. Nice to see them ---- together.

Offline mmitch

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 03:54:51 PM »

It was probably a transit flight. Perhaps a stop for fuel or weather. About a dozen Spitfires are based at Biggen Hill these days. There is big business 'Flying with or flying in a Spitfire' too. You will see a Spitfire operating from Headcorn too.  Most weekends in the Summer I see or at least hear one or two.  :)
mmitch.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Two Wartime Aircraft.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 04:43:42 PM »
It was only a few years ago, that I went to Rochester Airport, to view some static planes,
when these two wartime aircraft buzzed the airport. they went round a few times, then
they came in to land. Where I was standing, they came up & stood close to me.
I was wondering `what`to say to them, but I could not think of a thing. There were many
thing I could have said, about their aircraft or weather, where they came from, etc.
You may be interested that the aircraft were, a Spitfire & a Mustang. Anyone remember
when this was -- & -- what was the occasion ?