Author Topic: Reginald Wells seaplanes  (Read 15422 times)

Longpockets

Re: Reginald Wells seaplanes
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 09:22:20 AM »
Smiffy - ".......the fact that he built houses in Kent but no one knows where they are!"

Mike Gamill - " I would love to find a house in Kent built by Wells. I have tried."

I assume you have seen this - https://www.glproperty.co.uk/whats-a-wells-cottage

They are probably around us but we do not realise they are there.

Archival material relating to Wells is located at Storrington Museum, The Old School, School Lane, Storrington, West Sussex, RH20 4LL. [See http://www.storringtonmuseum.org/artifacts.html accessed 26 January 2010]

Source - https://sculpture.gla.ac.uk/view/person.php?id=msib2_1203552906

A Sussex cottage example is here https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2789260/welcome-fakesville-1-5million-cottage-s-not-village-racy-royal-past.html

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 08:47:31 AM »
Fascinating stuff, someone who is known as a potter going on to manufacture aircraft is not exactly a common occurrence. I particularly liked  "the Russian from Morocco", the "German called Fritz" ( aren't they all?) and the fact that he built houses in Kent but no one knows where they are!

Smiffy: I would love to find a house in Kent built by Wells. I have tried.
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 10:36:47 PM »

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 08:53:14 PM »
Fascinating stuff, someone who is known as a potter going on to manufacture aircraft is not exactly a common occurrence. I particularly liked  "the Russian from Morocco", the "German called Fritz" ( aren't they all?) and the fact that he built houses in Kent but no one knows where they are!

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 05:43:56 PM »
Mike, Great attachment, thanks. I'd never heard of Wells Aircraft either but I see they made- or advertised they did- the Benoist Flying Boats in 1914. Not French but USA. It made me chuckle, "the first commercial passenger flying boat service" ( pilot & one passenger sitting alongside!) from Tampa to St. Petersburge, Florida. The " flying boat"- actually seaplane- that Wells did make wasn't a success as it hardly left the water on its maiden flight. ( Engine too heavy- always a problem in the early days). Better stick to pottery, which was very much a success. On the slipway at Woodger's Wharf is a very streamlined speed boat, not a flying boat.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 11:06:50 AM »
Mike, is this it?

It looks the right place, yes!  The buildings no longer stand but that is the right location.
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 12:25:52 AM »
Mike, is this it?

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 04:48:46 PM »
Where in Rainham was the Wells Aviation Co factory and slipway? I'm curious as never heard of that before.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 02:56:25 PM »
Yes please Mike. Anything to do with aviation is of interest to me, particularly that bit about a concrete runway at Rainham . Thanking you in anticipation.

The concrete was more a slip way, to get his aircraft in the water.

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 01:25:50 PM »
Never heard of Wells Aviation, should be interesting.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 12:08:28 PM »
Yes please Mike. Anything to do with aviation is of interest to me, particularly that bit about a concrete runway at Rainham . Thanking you in anticipation.

Offline Mike Gunnill

Reginald Wells seaplanes
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 09:44:29 AM »
I found this during a clear-out yesterday. I have a feature somewhere. The tale of Reginald Fairfax Wells who designed early sea-planes. He was successful with his company Wells Aviation and had a huge factory in Chelsea in 1914. Prior to that he was based near Rainham, Kent. Still today there is a concrete slipway, he used. Now very overgrown.

If anyone is interested I will post pix and the feature I did.

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >