Author Topic: St Barts Hospital. Rochester.  (Read 10219 times)

Offline AlanTH

Re: St Barts Hospital. Rochester.
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 10:10:35 AM »
Several members of my family including me got treated there over the years as of course many others did.  I got taken to emergency one day with severe stomach pains and they rushed me in and several of the staff pushed and pulled me in an attempt to straighten me out as I was doubled over with pain.
They were successful but I don't think they were pleased with the result as suddenly I had to relieve myself urgently so out came a bed pan as they wouldn't let me use the toilet, but they soon regretted that. :)
The results were indescribable.
Apparently my bowels had twisted somehow causing a blockage and their herculean efforts to straighten me out had eased the problem so it was all their fault.......
Sad to hear it's gone/going but that seems to be the way now as things become too old to function properly.
AlanTH.

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 06:59:35 PM »
My Dad also died there, having been previously moved from Medway and left to die at Milton Hospital by the doctors, we managed to get him back to Medway. My abiding memory of him was, him smiling and giving us a "thumbs up" bye way of saying tanks I'm home.

Offline pr1uk

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 06:20:22 AM »
It's the modern way they want people to travel way out of their comfort range to hospitals miles away and hard to get to especially for older people with no transport. This was a great local hospital soon to be flats I have no doubt

Online MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 09:22:30 PM »
Many people with incurable diseases prefer to come home to die.  Pre-NHS they were probably nursed there regardless.  Many houses over 50 years old will have seen a death, and by 100 years it's a racing cert.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 09:17:20 PM »
My uncle died in there, albeit in the early 1990's, as did a great many other people over the years. Bearing that in mind, would you want to live in a new flat there? I wouldn't.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Online MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 05:36:54 PM »
In the same way that the chapel (which is the oldest part of the hospital) has been.  Seems a bit odd, martial arts in a Norman church, but at least it keeps it repaired and maintained.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 04:26:04 PM »
The latest information I can find implies that it will be turned into (you'll never guess) - flats!

Better re-purposed than being being pulled down I suppose; at least the main structure will remain intact.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
St Barts Hospital. Rochester.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 12:32:41 PM »
Has finally, put up the shutters. The developers will move in now, to build what ?