Author Topic: Sittingbourne Town Hall  (Read 4078 times)

Offline Diapason

Re: Sittingbourne Town Hall
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 09:22:23 AM »
Thanks for the additional information, grandarog!

I can`t remember the building to the right of the Town Hall, but do remember Millen`s the butcher approx. where Nationwide is today, on the opposite corner of Central Avenue.

I remember the Co-op Choir`s concerts and also their conductor, Fred. Tolhurst , who I knew very well and who took me, when I was a young lad, to the Royal Albert Hall, to my first Prom. concert. He was totally dedicated to music and performed many operettas and more serious compositions as he was also the conductor of the Sittingbourne Orpheus Choral Society, who often performed in the `old` Town Hall. I remember that on many occasions famous singers were engaged, notably the world famous soprano, Dame Isobel Baillie.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
Re: Sittingbourne Town Hall
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 06:28:42 PM »
The Cooperative Choral Society used to put on operettas at the Town Hall.
It was originally built as the Corn Exchange for Sittingbourne .It was built circa 1850
and was described as new in an article 1859.The basement stretched the whole length from front to back accessed by steps at the front and there was an exit below the stage at the back of the main hall above.The clock is built into the Prince Charles and Diana Wedding commemoration tower in Central Avenue.as Diapason said.
The photo below was taken just after Central Avenue was constructed before the Town Hall and Building on the Corner were Demolished.
Pictures of then and Now.

Offline Diapason

Sittingbourne Town Hall
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 02:33:12 PM »
Probably demolished in the early sixties. The Nat West Bank now occupies the site.

There was a gallery above the main entrance from where General Election results were announced.

Public conveniences were in the basement and accessed from the footpath.

The clock mechanism was salvaged and re-sited about 100yds to the south in Central Avenue.