Industry > Miscellaneous Industrial History

Sentinel S4

(1/2) > >>

stuartwaters:
Yes, I worked as a shipkeeping assistant firstly as a volunteer and then as a paid employee under Chris Jones alongside Dave Appleton (carpenter/painter) and Jez Clark (Fabricator/Welder). After my fixed term contract with the Trust came to an end, I moved over to working for Mick Cooper for three years. Happy days but no money in it. I remember big Bill and Julian well.

DaveTheTrain:

--- Quote from: stuartwaters on October 16, 2022, 12:38:30 PM ---Slightly off topic I know, but many years ago when I worked in Chatham Historic Dockyard, there was a fella making replacement boilers for steam trucks. They were made from old iron or steel pipes he had to heat up to white hot to work flanges onto the ends. A lot of work went into them and it took him a fair amount of time to fabricate each one. I dread to think what he sold them for but the last time I met him, he had four or five on the go.

--- End quote ---

if I recall correctly  Stweart, we're you there when Chris was in charge of the workshop? If so, that would have been Julian.  Or if earlier it may have been The late Bill Hedges, but that was in the 90s.  Julian was making Sentinel boilers in six slip, annexe.  Happy days.

stuartwaters:
I miss Doug's input, he was unafraid to ask questions or comments on any thread, even those outside his area of expertise, which appeared to be anything steam or railway related.

stuartwaters:
Slightly off topic I know, but many years ago when I worked in Chatham Historic Dockyard, there was a fella making replacement boilers for steam trucks. They were made from old iron or steel pipes he had to heat up to white hot to work flanges onto the ends. A lot of work went into them and it took him a fair amount of time to fabricate each one. I dread to think what he sold them for but the last time I met him, he had four or five on the go.

DaveTheTrain:

--- Quote from: grandarog on October 06, 2022, 06:11:34 PM ---

Incidently, anyone heard of how Sentinel S4 is,  son of the Oracle, that was on the old Kent Forum. I thought he would have been on here,

--- End quote ---

Rog, Doug (S4) is fine.  He visits my shed from time to time.  I know he is busy working, being a grandad and decorating.  I expect we will see him at Christmas as we have an Xmas meal for all the chaps who help with my steam engine.
DTT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version