Military History > Radar Stations and Searchlight Emplacements

Radar Station on Deal-Dover Road

(1/3) > >>

Dave Smith:
Pete. Thanks, that's an interesting site, very similar to ours. I see from their photo that there were 2 lots of 4 masts. I can only assume that the single ones were the 1936 build which I saw, whereas the latticed pylons were an update later on. And they also confirm that these were RAF initially, with WAAFs manning before bombing & shelling made it too dangerous. The photo', taken by the Germans across the channel is quite amazing. Reminds me of the saying; And the Lord said, " let there be light". And there was light, and on a clear day, you could see for miles & miles & miles!.

pete.mason:
This might have the answer https://www.dover.uk.com/forums/dover-forum/the-4-sisters  It seems there were 4,  smaller, wooden receiving towers. Reply #4 has an attached photo

Dave Smith:
Pete. My recollection is not of those complicated pylons, more like single- 4 very tall & probably 4 shorter ones I think- masts with stays and cables linking them. Your picture may well be how the Radar system developed post 1936. Does Castle remember his at Dunkirk I wonder?

pete.mason:
Sorry, not clear I meant Reinden Woods is Swingfield not Swingate and I was wrong. Does this look like it?

Dave Smith:
Pete. No mistake, it was Swingate. One of the first 5 of Home Chain Radar stations built in 1936. The others were Dunkirk, Rye, Newchurch & Westcliffe. I've now completely confused & can only assume that the masts ( nearly 400ft. high) that we saw were either Dunkirk- as that name was mentioned- or Swingate & we went to Deal, for I'm sure I would have remembered Dover with its castle. I'm pretty sure that initially they were manned by RAF personnel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version