Travel and Transport > Railways

Model Railways

<< < (2/5) > >>

castle261:
I used to go to Sittingbourne for a modeller`s club, held then in a school, may have been in Milton.
they made railway engine, bought in a kit. I did learnt a little bit about welding there.
The reason I stopped going, one ( nightschool ) -- a lad & I got back to Sittingbourne station,
boarded a `non  smoker`carriage, sat down, then I noticed smoke coming from two area`s of the
carriage. Then one drunken Scotsman sat up & said ` do you mind if we smoke, then the other one sat up. `Yes I do` I said `there`s a smoker`s carriage next door `. The lad looked on, said nothing.
`You must be a bloody `TORY ` one said, then he said `shall we chuck him off the train, Jock`.
I signaled to the lad `lets move `. We moved to the `smoker `. I would not challenge, these day`s.

Lutonman:
Yes, I remember Le Cores at the bottom of Cage lane right opposite the Regent. It was near the bus stop back to Wayfield so it was a stop off before getting on the bus back from Town.

Colin walsh:
HI Smiffy,I bow to you sir,as you say ,it was cage lane not slykates hill, I apologize ,but it's a long time since I left Medway ,looking for work,that's why I love the fourum ,very informative ,but lots of nostalgia keep publishing guys.

Smiffy:
Hi Colin,

Yes I remember LeCores, the one near the Regent was actually at the bottom of Cage Lane (now Upbury Way). They had a coin slot outside where you could insert a penny and watch the train come around.  I worked with one of their sons for a while (Chris) and he told me that when he was a boy he had no interest in model railways or anything like that - his hobbies were all of the sporting variety.  When I was a kid being let loose in one of those shops would have been like a dream come true for me!

There was also Gee's (bottom of Clover street) and Bakers which I think was in Canterbury Street Gillingham, but I think they may have had a shop in Rochester as well?

Colin walsh:
There were a few shops that sold model railway stuff ,any one remember le-core brothers,had a shop on the banks Rochester plus one bottom of slykates ?hill Chatham ,Doughtys ,mainly sports stuff was a tri - ang agents, and laterery a shop in Chatham (Rochester end)had quite a good selection.
Had lots of model railway  stuff as a lad,started work a Gillingham loco as an engine cleaner,moved to Torrington Devon as a fire man when Gillingham closed,finished my days as a signalman at Barns west London ,did most of the railway jobs ,cleaner, fireman ,passed fireman,platform staff,engineering shunter, depot shunter area managers assistant,crossing keeper .class 1 signalman ,things just went bad when privatization took over glad to be out of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version