Travel and Transport > Roads, Tracks and Paths

Watts' Place, Chatham

<< < (2/8) > >>

shoot999:

--- Quote from: CAT on April 23, 2020, 06:38:17 PM ---Many thanks all for the comments regards their saving. Each slide measures 120mm x 90mm (roughly 4 3/4'' x 3 1/2''). Whilst I do think they are from a private studio collection, there are very few actual person portraits, instead large amounts of curious events in, and around Kent ranging from the late 1940s to the mid 1950s.

--- End quote ---
  That sounds about right for a professional studio/photographer. Whilst the portrait work gave a steady stream of revenue, many of the studios at the time freelanced for the various local papers. In fact a key factor in running a story was whether a photo of the event/place/incident was available.  For example Dudley Studios of Watts Place freelanced for the local Medway Papers, East Kent Gazette, Kent Messenger, etc. So these guys were out and about most days snapping away at anything and everything on spec. 

castle261:
Exellent idea Smiffy - My particular interest is in the layout of the Brook between the Town Hall,
along the Brook, to Sly Kate`s Hill. The raised pavement along the north side + the area of the
roads, displaced by the Pentagon. Years ago half of the `Brook `was like the banks in Rochester
High Street, for half it`s length - raised 8)   :-X

( Slickett`s Hill )

Smiffy:
As well as guess the place, perhaps you should start your own topic where you can occasionally post one of your slides that you think may be of particular interest? CAT's Collection :)

CAT:
Many thanks all for the comments regards their saving. Each slide measures 120mm x 90mm (roughly 4 3/4'' x 3 1/2''). Whilst I do think they are from a private studio collection, there are very few actual person portraits, instead large amounts of curious events in, and around Kent ranging from the late 1940s to the mid 1950s. Storing is a problem, but they came in 159 handmade wooden boxes each with approximately 160 slides in each and are stored in my cellar, which maintains a cool [/size]dry environment. These are separated into subject groups, some of several slides, some singular, with each group placed in a paper envelope with a simple description written in pencil and a reference(?) number. My very patient wife catalogued them all over a very gloomy winter and produced a digital spreadsheet. We spent a bomb a few years ago and have the ability to scan them at home and together we have done about 400, so only another 24,600 to go as well as my collection of Victorian church slides (approx. 400) and 1960-70s historic [/size]Kent houses 35mm slides (approx. 2400)  :( . Its finding the time, but one day!.   

Dave Smith:
Cat. Fantastic that all those have been salvaged rather than destroyed as so often happens," good on you"! If those are all glass plates (1/4 plate is 41/4" x 31/4" & 1/2 plate 61/2" x 41/4" if I remember rightly) they were probably from a photographic studio, who tended to take portraits on tripod mounted plate cameras & had the facilities to develop, fix & dry them. AND store them! The photographer was also a keen photographer, which would be a natural hobby, to go out & about taking pictures around Kent. He'd have used the camera- or similar- that he was most familiar with, hand held or tripod. I think you've got your work cut out trying to copy them- although copiers now will convert negatives to positives- as that size copier would "cost a bomb"! AND it would take for ever! Sorry to be negative but having had the job of transferring 3,500 35mm slides to my computer- & doing less than half, I speak from experience. A lot, I suspect will be portraits?, so maybe print( contact) any that take your fancy & then copy them to computer via your printer. You can join in the " guess the place" then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version