Author Topic: Can anyone shed any light on this?  (Read 3873 times)

Offline LorelyW

Can anyone shed any light on this?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 03:41:22 PM »
Hi everyone,

New member here, so hope I am posting this correctly. Was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on a document thats been in my family since 1814 please. I've attached a couple of photos and a rough transcription and in essence it appears to be a document that grants my ancestor (great grandfather x 6 generations ago) the power to search and seize any suspected contraband within all ports but specifically Maidstone/Rochester. It was issued by Rochester or Maidstones customs house (not sure which), and signed by John Nightingale, the then collector of Duty for the area. My ancestor appears to have been employed as a boatman but with search and seize powers from 1st March 1814, although following a recent trip to the National Archives last week, there is no mention of him within their records of the first customs officers/ waterguard or coastguard etc., however do appreciate local records may have more to say.

So this has me thinking that either the records at London are incomplete or for some reason he was no longer in the employ of HMS Customs Kent by 1816, and yet this document has clearly been kept and treasured by my family for over 200 years but I'm none the wiser as to why. I've also serached ancestry.com etc., and found an old newspaper article regarding his wife which confirmed she was widowed by didn't say when or how, and the only death record I have found with the right name and area would appear to be their first born son, so I am none the wiser.

Would really appreciate any comments or suggestions as to what this document is even called - could it be a warrent? entry paper? and also any suggestions as to how to find out anything more about it all as fear I have hit a brick wall as he has all but disappeared post 1814.