Industry > Engineering Works and Factories

Aveling & Porter

(1/4) > >>

MartinR:
Yes, you're right, I had forgotten about the expansion into Pelican Yard.  I can't find my copies of the Preston books, but there is a description at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aveling_and_Porter
Here's an example of their work culled from Smith's 1928 "A History of Rochester":

Cosmo Smallpiece:
I thought B&Q were no longer there, but could not recall what had replaced them. Aveling & Porter went on to extend west of the railway onto that plot. I believe Pelican Foundary and Collis & Stace were over that side?

DaveTheTrain:
Wingets was a separate private, and later publicly listed company.   Later photos of the Wingets foundry show the old A&P foundry. 
It occupied the site from 1953 (I believe) after Aveling and Porter transferred its business operations to Grantham in 1934.  A&P became Aveling Barford.  That is a complex story of industrial combines and mismanagement that is well described elsewhere.

MartinR:
You're right Longpockets.  B&Q was in the retail park, where B&M, Starbucks and the gym are now.  The Aveling & Porter site was the large car park outside the old archive centre.  Recently the council seem to have been dumping spoil there, I'm not sure what they are up to but the whole area is liable to subsidence since A&P reclaimed it from the river mud.

Longpockets:

--- Quote from: Cosmo Smallpiece on January 06, 2021, 09:11:28 PM ---When I was last that way it was the big B&Q car park.
--- End quote ---

I think B&Q was the other side of the railway line, within the area of Commercial Road and Knight Road.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version