Author Topic: Lion Brewery, Chatham Intra  (Read 6714 times)

Offline Dave Smith

Re: Lion Brewery, Chatham Intra
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 10:46:03 AM »
Thanks Longpockets. Interesting, it seems that NO ONE is certain which way Tonbridge/Tunbridge is spelt!

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2021, 09:00:18 PM »
The photo of the Tunbridge ( why is Tonbridge with an O?) ..........

Same reason that tongue is!  ;D

Alec.

pete.mason

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 05:24:44 PM »
There used to be a road name  sign on the Westborough Working Mens club corner of Bower St & Tonbridge Rd spelt Tunbridge Rd in the 1970s if not later, not now visible on Google streetview

Longpockets

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 05:00:00 PM »
The photo of the Tunbridge ( why is Tonbridge with an O?)

Some detail, but not an answer. http://www.tonbridgehistory.org.uk/miscellany/tonbridge-or-tunbridge.htm

A bit like Downe Village and Down House.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 11:39:43 AM »
The photo of the Tunbridge ( why is Tonbridge with an O?) Wells brewery is interesting, I never knew one existed there & it was pretty big- maybe it was before my time. There must have been dozens within Kent because of the hop growing- sadly all gone now. Although there is reference to the old KHF, on this new one there is little, other than the Lion Brewery, about these historic places. I'm sure there are many stories of interest?

dingo4638

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 09:41:21 AM »
The old Hulkes Lane Brewery site is still owned in total by the Featherstone family. I guess Chris Featherstone must be 80 by now. I rent the Tack Room part. The bottom wooden building is Medway Motorcycles. In the bonded warehouse is a gym, a model maker, a fashion company and a commercial photographic studio.

The old stable site on the east side of Hulkes Lane is all owned by Cycle King and is currently vacant.

There were two James Hulkes' who owned the brewery, father then son. Both were Mayor of Rochester. James Hulkes Jnr ended up selling to Charles Arkcoll and he moved to Little Hermitage in Higham (now a wedding venue).

My great great grandfather worked for James Hulkes as a warehouseman and committed suicide by hanging in the stables in 1863.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 02:34:52 PM »
I remember that blog on Brewers and breweries from the old fourum,very interesting ,places you would never dream off came up,my contribution was Style&winch, bottom of East row Rochester

Yes, luxury flats now, although they look a bit cold to me.

KeithG

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 01:37:55 PM »
Lion Brewery now occupied maybe by an Art business.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 11:39:19 AM »
The garden up the stone steps was originally much larger and extended right up to the brewery waterworks.  The OS map of 1866 shows the steps and paths much as they are now, but where the rear wall is the paths continued on either side up to the waterworks with an ornamental oval in the centre.  By 1898 the current buildings had been constructed over the top of the garden.  The Brewery and Chatham house were on land leased from St Batholomew's Hospital in 1866.  Land in the area was being sold by the trustees however,  by 1868 Lazarus Magnus had managed to buy the adjacent plot where the new Memorial Synagogue and burial ground now stands.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 11:19:46 AM »
I remember that blog on Brewers and breweries from the old fourum,very interesting ,places you would never dream off came up,my contribution was Style&winch, bottom of East row Rochester

KeithG

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 03:28:11 PM »
Here is Chatham House in 1962 with the Featherstones shopfront in situ...

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 10:57:32 PM »
Good to know that Mr Featherstone is still around.  How old is her now?
DTT

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 10:17:59 PM »
Chatham House, is owned by Mr. Featherstone.  I see him at our lunch, every Xmas.

Offline Smiffy

Lion Brewery, Chatham Intra
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 08:19:05 PM »