Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1041713 times)

Offline Stewie

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #9551 on: February 02, 2024, 08:56:04 PM »
It has most definitely a railway connection Johnwalker, you can just make out the wooden platform I was standing on.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9550 on: February 02, 2024, 07:28:37 PM »
Railway connection?

Offline Stewie

« Reply #9549 on: February 02, 2024, 04:12:41 PM »
OK, so when I took the picture the building was mostly derelict but parts of it (the office), were still in use. The shape of the doors gives an insight into what the buildings purpose was, which will help towards its location.

Offline Stewie

« Reply #9548 on: February 01, 2024, 05:16:08 PM »
Thanks for that information CAT, I have an interest in the fortifications around the Medway but also further afield. At the recent January members meeting at the Chatham Historical Society, I gave a short talk on Fort Luton which I will upload to this site later.
I have had a look through some old scanned photos I took in the early 1980's and have found this one for the next GTP.
So where was I when I took this with my Olympus Trip camera.

Online MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #9547 on: February 01, 2024, 03:48:38 PM »
Thanks folks.  Rather than Google I use DuckDuckGo which is more secure, but in this case yielded no hits.  I followed the link to Google Maps from the WP page and it now does mention the guns: "Dover Turret (80 ton guns) temporarily closed", and it is where GSV labels the Dover fishing pier.

Offline CAT

« Reply #9546 on: February 01, 2024, 01:58:11 PM »
The pier was extended towards the end of the nineteenth century and thus the former turret fort is now part way along the pier where the angle changes. See  51°06'42.4"N,001°19'08.22"E

Offline CAT

« Reply #9545 on: February 01, 2024, 01:53:29 PM »

Online MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9544 on: February 01, 2024, 11:55:48 AM »
Well I knew that guns were placed on the breakwaters in both World Wars.  I can't seem to find the "Admiralty Pier Turret" in GSV.  There seems to be the remains of a gun emplacement at the pier end, next to the light and a larger structure at the Dover fishing Pier.  Is it one of them?  I'm afraid I don't really know Dover at all.  I've been to the castle a few times and to the museum, but otherwise I've always been en route to the ferry terminal or once the marina for a diving expedition.

Offline CAT

« Reply #9543 on: February 01, 2024, 11:20:00 AM »
Are you including the Admiralty Pier Turret in your 'sea-level defences' MartinR. Of late nineteenth century date, they still possess their Fraser RML 16 inch 80-ton RML guns in position, though not kept 'ship shape and Bristol fashion' condition.

Online MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9542 on: February 01, 2024, 09:58:24 AM »
Interesting, I didn't realise that Dover had any sea-level defences.  Location:
  • Nat Grid:                    TR 31516 40283
  • Nearest Post Code:   CT17 9EL
  • Co-ords (WGS84):     51°06'54.9"N,001°18'23.4"E or 51.115042,1.306466
It is a Scheduled Monument under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended, therefore doesn't have a grade like a listed building.  It is however listed by historic England.¹

The Dover website provides a concise history.³  The site is currently occupied by Emmaus,² the homeless charity referred to by CAT.

¹https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1016420?section=official-list-entry
²https://emmaus.org.uk/dover/emmaus-dover-to-re-open-archcliffe-fort-site/
³https://www.dover-kent.co.uk/archcliffe_fort.html

Offline CAT

« Reply #9541 on: February 01, 2024, 08:26:37 AM »
It was not the Medway Towns MartinR as it is the remains of the main gate to Archcliffe fort on the southern outskirts of Dover. Originally a small detached defended promontory with a stone tower during the fourteenth century, it is suggested that a wealthy merchant built a small chapel on the plateau in praise of his safe deliverance from a channel shipwreck. The area was seen as possessing a defensive use as it overlooked the former 'Pier District' of Dover, which was regarded as a town beyond the main town of Dover. Initially thought to be a series of earthwork banks and ditches with gun platforms, by the seventeenth century the defences were enhanced by a substantial stone walls with projecting 'arrow point' angle bastions within a dry moat and formal gateway. In time these evolved with the changes to cannons and by the Napoleonic War was a detached fortlet in its own right. Situated at the end of the South Lines (an extensive brick lined dry moat encompassing and linking the Drop Redoubt and the Citadel), its function as a defensive position was greatly reduced when the coastal railway route between Dover and Folkestone cut the eastern end of the original plateau causing its defensive effectiveness to be compromised. Down graded to a small barracks and military administration site, its subsequent modern use is by a homeless charity. Whilst many of the original military buildings have been heavily altered, some are still extent and being used by the charity, though the forts remaining lengths of outer walled fortifications survive almost unaltered.

After my ramblings its over to you Stewie   

Offline Stewie

« Reply #9540 on: January 31, 2024, 05:13:50 PM »
Is it Archcliffe Fort?

Online MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9539 on: January 31, 2024, 03:52:44 PM »
Medway Towns?

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #9538 on: January 31, 2024, 01:38:46 PM »
Well known by me ,will hold off for others to try. :)

Offline CAT

« Reply #9537 on: January 31, 2024, 12:56:41 PM »
Many thanks MartinR

My deduction of where it was from was purely looking at an elevated position to the north-northwest and saw a very convenient picnic spot with far reaching views across the right area. More luck than judgement I think.

My next is a lesser known military installation, but where?