Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1042353 times)

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #9601 on: February 12, 2024, 09:43:40 AM »
Quite an easy one next.  I've blanked out the names, but its an interesting navigation problem.  Can you identify the area to the right?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9600 on: February 12, 2024, 09:16:57 AM »
Interesting info CAT.

My earlier comment about a nearby cottage being named after one of my family names refers to Impett Cottage, just along the road from the church.  The Impetts were all over East Kent.  Impett is a name on my maternal grandmother's side.  My Great-grandfather (George Impett of Ickham) married a Measday - another name that appears over East Kent.

Offline CAT

« Reply #9599 on: February 12, 2024, 08:55:53 AM »
Apologies for the delay due to daughter's dissertation editing.

It was not Stodmarsh Church MartinR, but the similarities are there. It is indeed All Saints Church, importantly West Stourmouth to distinguish it from East Stourmouth, which has no church, but is a comparable sized settlement. Both Stourmouth's are a clear reflection of when the Isle of Thanet was a true island surrounded by the Wansum Channel and where the River (Great) Stour after flowing past Ashford and through Canterbury actually entered the south-western corner of the Wantsum. Due to this, the two settlements evolved as being at the 'mouth of the Stour', later Stourmouth despite being over 4.5miles from the sea.

The church itself is Grade I Listed and noted as being

The Church of All Saints, Stourmouth, contains late Saxon (c. 1000 or earlier), late 12th century, early 13th century, 14th and 15th century and post-Reformation work. The present church consists of a nave 45ft. 6 inches by 17ft. 3 inches, a south aisle of the same length and about 9ft. 4 inches in width "excluding the arcade in both instances"; a somewhat shorter and narrower north aisle whose width decreases a good deal from east to west; and an aisleless chancel, 24ft. 6 inches long from the west of the chancel arch to the east wall by 14ft. 9 inches broad. The original aisleless nave may be late Saxon c. 1000 A.D. or earlier. These are rough non-Caen stone quoins. Over the nave are the remains of a four-bay King-post roof "perhaps late 13th century in date" and inserted through the roof at the west end of the nave is a c. 14th century timber belfry. The chancel appears to date from c. 1200 and has a pair of lancets on either side. The east wall of the chancel and its buttresses and north and south returns, was completely rebuilt in the 19th century. The roof is largely 19th century. The north aisle probably dates from the 14th century, but contains the remains of 15th century windows. The top of the north aisle was cut down in the late 17th or 18th century to leave a low shed with a vestry at the west end; two dormers were added in the early 19th century. The west wall of the north aisle incorporated a 13th century buttress. Restoration work began on the south aisle in 1982 and concentrated on the roof. Excavation work took place within the church in 1985 and it was possible to produce a plan showing the different phases of building construction. The church is enclosed by an extensive earthwork.

Over to you MartinR   

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9598 on: February 10, 2024, 06:27:17 PM »
Why did they put modern steel trunking in full view in the ancient church?  Surely they could have found a better option?

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #9597 on: February 10, 2024, 05:51:31 PM »
 The picture posted is definitely of All Saints ,Stourmouth Church which John Walker and I passed on.
 Check out the Steel trunking by the door and rising up the left of end wall.
The picture on this Tripadvisor link confirms .

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g5504564-Stourmouth_Kent_England-Vacations.html

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9596 on: February 10, 2024, 05:07:25 PM »
Ah, maybe not.  Would West Stourmouth, All Saints' be where you are thinking of?  I've found a photo of the inside: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/682/20688847306_999dbe94e4_c.jpg and it matches the one you posted in most particulars: the double lancet window, the west end door, the modern galvanised trunking and the wooden structure to carry the bell turret.  Talking of the latter, if you look closely at your photo you'll see that there is another sally hanging below the bell rope to the right of the picture.  I think that this has become detached since the flickr image (above) shows two bell ropes to the right.  That changes it from a two- to a three-bell installation, and Love's Guide¹ for Stourmouth, All Saints (no "West"?) lists three bells dating from 1615 (tenor, 5 cwt in C), 1605 and 1608.  The church itself is grade I listed.²  The building is Saxon with C12 alterations and windows from C14 and C15.  the church is now redundant and cared for by the churches conservation Trust.

• Address:                    Church Lane, West Stourmouth
  • Nat Grid:                    TR 25616 62880
  • Nearest Post Code:   CT3 1HT
  • Co-ords (WGS84):     51°19'13"N,001°14'11"E or 51.32026,1.23652

¹http://kent.lovesguide.com/tower.php?id=275
²https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1203363?section=official-list-entry

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9595 on: February 10, 2024, 12:35:22 PM »
If you are correct MartinR, then it's not the church I thought it was.  I've passed Stodmarsh church many times but never ventured inside.  Must do that one day.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9594 on: February 09, 2024, 06:42:03 PM »
Stodmarsh, St Mary's Church.  The photo shows a west end door but this is no longer used and not mentioned in some write-ups.  It is however visible from GSV.  The rather more prominent south door and porch can confuse searchers! >:(  The church is originally Saxon, but with a late Norman rebuild of the nave and a 13C addition of a chancel.  See the official listing for this grade I building.¹  There was an excellent write up by Tim Tatton-Brown in 1996 which is well worth a read.²  There is an external drone fly-around on YouTube embedded into a description at Churches of England.³  The fly-around doesn't include a clear view of the west end however.

The two bells are swung-chimed, not rung full circle.  The ropes are visible in the original photo.  The tenor (deepest note) is particularly interesting being one of the oldest bells in the country, estimated casting date of 1280.  The treble is still venerable, it was cast in 1550.  The bells are about 3 cwt each.  Details, including an indecipherable inscription on the medieval bell, are given in http://kent.lovesguide.com/tower.php?id=336

Location information:
  • Nat Grid:                    TR 22024 60578
  • Nearest Post Code:   CT3 4BD
  • Co-ords (WGS84):     51°18'04"N,001°11'01"E or 51.30101,1.18363

¹https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1085456?section=official-list-entry
²https://kentarchaeology.org.uk/01/03/STD.htm
³https://churchesofengland.com/st-marys-church-in-stodmarsh-kent/

Offline CAT

« Reply #9593 on: February 09, 2024, 03:58:09 PM »
Rural village south of the A28 MartinR, but not too far south of it.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9592 on: February 08, 2024, 12:26:20 PM »
Staying on the A28 or else either N or S of it?

Offline CAT

« Reply #9591 on: February 08, 2024, 09:22:03 AM »
Not Canterbury directly MartinR, but head northeast(ish)

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9590 on: February 07, 2024, 09:38:58 PM »
Well I've been through all the 2 bell churches that have and entry in Dove's and couldn't find it.  Looking at those who know I'll start the ball rolling with Canterbury?

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #9589 on: February 07, 2024, 07:33:23 PM »
I recognised it so will pass on it. Try and encourage some new blood.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9588 on: February 07, 2024, 10:53:50 AM »
I'll have to miss this one as I know it - wouldn't be a 'guess' in the spirit of GTP.
I visited here while researching my family tree.  There's a cottage close by with the family name (that's not a clue).

Offline CAT

« Reply #9587 on: February 07, 2024, 10:22:15 AM »
Many thanks Stewie, its funny how images just stick in your mind. This was one of them, having walked past it myself about 8years ago. A very pleasant circular walk with a good tea room at the end.

Thanks also to you MartinR for the find spot and the added info.

Where would you find this fine 'set of legs'?