Author Topic: Sun Pier, Chatham  (Read 5433 times)

Offline Smiffy

Re: Sun Pier, Chatham
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 01:15:05 PM »
pr1uk, I remember doing that trip as a class outing when I was at Junior school. Open motor launch, no lifejackets!

Offline pr1uk

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 09:12:34 AM »
I well remember the Sun Pier before WW2 as we always caught the paddle steamer across to Southend from there. For a young lad, it was a fantastic day out during my Dad's annual weeks holiday from The Yard. We also caught the brass funnelled picket boat from there that took us to HMS Kent to see my uncle upon his return from The China Station in 1937.

I always remember mum taking us kids to Sun Pier and getting a launch that took us for a day out at Upnor, used to love the short journey to and fro.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 01:22:03 PM »
I well remember the Sun Pier before WW2 as we always caught the paddle steamer across to Southend from there. For a young lad, it was a fantastic day out during my Dad's annual weeks holiday from The Yard. We also caught the brass funnelled picket boat from there that took us to HMS Kent to see my uncle upon his return from The China Station in 1937. 

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 06:48:23 PM »
The 1869 landing place was specifically intended to provide a proper means of landing at the Sun Pier at night, as some seafaring men had perished during accidents whilst making the attempt. It was described as "a very excellent floating-stage" and provided by public subscription. No doubt good use was also made of it during daylight hours thereafter.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 05:01:19 PM »
The purpose of the floating pontoon is to facilitate all-tide operation, both day and night.  The Medway there can rise and fall up to 6m (nigh on 20') at spring tides.  Few passengers (particularly ladies in Victorian dress, or indeed today in skirts) would fancy climbing a slippery 20' ladder.  Incidentally access to the pontoon is by token which can only be purchased on the pontoon itself.  The idea is that boats can tie up temporarily, go into Chatham and then return.  In line with Medway Council's anti-river policy there is no overnight mooring permitted and they don't want locals using it to launch boats.

Offline Smiffy

Sun Pier, Chatham
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 04:51:49 PM »

The existing Sun Pier dates from 1886, replacing an earlier pier that had been built on the same site, probably during the 1830's. This older pier underwent some improvements during 1869 with the addition of a floating stage which helped to facilitate night landings.

A photo dating from c.1870 showing the old pier:

With the increasing use of river traffic, especially ferry services and pleasure steamers, the decision was later made that a more suitable and substantial pier was needed and by 1885 work was underway on the new structure. A long gangway was planned to connect it to the landing stage, but due to delays by the contractors, a temporary gangway had to be constructed in order to deal with the considerable number of passengers wanting to use the pier during the height of the summer pleasure cruise season. This gangway, although being approved as adequate, unfortunately proved to be far too flimsy for the task.

On the afternoon of Sunday 26th July, a large number of people had turned up in order to take advantage of the fine day and the multitude of steamers that were offering their services. Because of the inevitable delays due to so many passengers boarding and disembarking at the same time, the weight proved to be too much for the makeshift gangway and it began to swing alarmingly. At first this provided some amusement to the waiting crowds, but soon the movement became so extreme an accident seemed inevitable. Before most had a chance to escape, the gangway collapsed and a large number of persons found themselves thrown into the river, which at this point was some eight feet deep. Luckily, most were able to save themselves by clinging onto the twisted ironwork or floating debris, or were rescued by a number of small boats that had been dispatched to help.

By an amazing quirk of fate, and despite a large number of both minor and some more serious injuries, there were no fatalities apart from an infant that was reported to have died in its unfortunate mother's arms.

Aftermath of the accident, the twisted gangway is clearly visible:

The new pier was finally completed the following year, and apart from an enlargement a few years later, remained largely unaltered until December 1972 when a fire broke out and destroyed most of the wooden superstructure. The pier is still there of course, but the glory days when the Medway Queen and her ilk were regular visitors have now long passed.

This photograph was taken approximately two months before the devastating fire:

Thanks must go to Mike Nancollas who sent me this newspaper cutting and text, and who was an eyewitness to the fire that nearly destroyed the Sun Pier:

"It was the 19th December 1972 I had just gone to lunch it was a very foggy day difficult to see Medway Street from my office on the pier. I locked up and went off to eat.

After an hour I went back to find complete devastation. What I was told afterwards, though I can't say if it were true or not, was that the guy who ran Grey Launches used to have a bunk in his part of the pier together with an electric fire. Some days he used to bring a girlfriend back and during the lunch time the bedclothes had slipped onto the fire which started the blaze and his little place was full of fuel for his boat and paint etc, all flammable stuff. Also I understand that a yacht club had part of the the old building on the river side  of the building. I never heard any more about the fire.

The part of the pier that I was in was a small office at the land side facing Medway Street, behind was the old custom house with the lockers that Officers used to use in the days when Customs were active on the pier. I believe they moved the office into the high street nearby to the junction of Medway street.

The old Kent Land Corps office was completely burned out but we did managed to salvage the records, and relocated in St Margarets Street Rochester just up from the Cathedral".