Industry > Brewers and Breweries

Lion Brewery, Chatham Intra

<< < (2/3) > >>

dingo4638:
The old Hulkes Lane Brewery site is still owned in total by the Featherstone family. I guess Chris Featherstone must be 80 by now. I rent the Tack Room part. The bottom wooden building is Medway Motorcycles. In the bonded warehouse is a gym, a model maker, a fashion company and a commercial photographic studio.

The old stable site on the east side of Hulkes Lane is all owned by Cycle King and is currently vacant.

There were two James Hulkes' who owned the brewery, father then son. Both were Mayor of Rochester. James Hulkes Jnr ended up selling to Charles Arkcoll and he moved to Little Hermitage in Higham (now a wedding venue).

My great great grandfather worked for James Hulkes as a warehouseman and committed suicide by hanging in the stables in 1863.

shoot999:

--- Quote from: Colin walsh on March 02, 2020, 11:19:46 AM ---I remember that blog on Brewers and breweries from the old fourum,very interesting ,places you would never dream off came up,my contribution was Style&winch, bottom of East row Rochester

--- End quote ---

Yes, luxury flats now, although they look a bit cold to me.

KeithG:
Lion Brewery now occupied maybe by an Art business.

MartinR:
The garden up the stone steps was originally much larger and extended right up to the brewery waterworks.  The OS map of 1866 shows the steps and paths much as they are now, but where the rear wall is the paths continued on either side up to the waterworks with an ornamental oval in the centre.  By 1898 the current buildings had been constructed over the top of the garden.  The Brewery and Chatham house were on land leased from St Batholomew's Hospital in 1866.  Land in the area was being sold by the trustees however,  by 1868 Lazarus Magnus had managed to buy the adjacent plot where the new Memorial Synagogue and burial ground now stands.

Colin walsh:
I remember that blog on Brewers and breweries from the old fourum,very interesting ,places you would never dream off came up,my contribution was Style&winch, bottom of East row Rochester

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version