Author Topic: The 1921 Ancestry Records  (Read 2667 times)

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
Re: The 1921 Ancestry Records
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2022, 08:45:22 PM »
Thanks Grandarog, just a general marketing ploy then.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2022, 06:41:27 PM »
All subscribed members had a banner across the top of the 1921 page. Obviously a marketing tactic to any on their mail list.
Quote:-
       "50% off 1921 Census records.Hurry, offer expires Monday. T&Cs apply*"

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022, 05:44:07 PM »
I cancelled my subscription payment to Find my Past a few days ago, citing the pay per view of 1921 Census as the reason.
Not sure if it is simply coincidence or a marketing tactic, but I had a 50% off offer for the Census records for this weekend. Was this common/universal? Did anyone else get this offer? Just curious/suspicious...

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2022, 12:56:19 PM »
I have made a point of NOT paying to view the 1921 Census, and am sorely tempted to cancel my Find my Past subscription until such time as it is included within a subscription.
It is also probably as full of poor transcription as any other previous offering. I checked the records (without going further than finding if they existed), and my mother's family were missing until I tried miss-spelling their straightforward surname. Your only protection against paying to view the wrong record set is a short list of some of the people included in that record when you hover the mouse over it - which is as far as I have got.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2022, 11:47:57 AM »
Most Libraries have facilities to view most sites but you would still have to pay to view the actual Censii entry.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 09:30:14 AM »
I've read that the 1921 census can be viewed at local libraries.  Does anyone know if this is correct and if it is, how does it work?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 05:36:36 PM »
A very unfair situation.  If I understand correctly, not only will we have to pay the annual subscription but we'll have to pay per search as well.  I feel these records should be government-funded for all to access.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 03:23:28 PM »
You will be able to view the images for free at the National Archives in Kew.  Probably worth checking up on the price of a day return, if you want more than a few records it could be cheaper!  Pity those in Birmingham or Newcastle though.  According the the website the initial contract is for three years, after that who knows?

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 02:34:17 PM »
Please note that Find my Past has the following to say about their forthcoming 1921 Census release:
*Please note that the 1921 Census of England and Wales will not be included in any subscription package upon its release on 6 January, 2022. The 1921 Census will be on a pay-per-view basis using Findmypast micropayments.
The generous b*gg*rs will let "Pro" subscribers (i.e. the top of the range package) have a 10% discount.
I for one am not impressed...

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
The 1921 Ancestry Records
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 05:09:17 AM »
See my post below.

I was going to remove this post - but it said `  Can not remove 1ST POST ` - So Stuart it you can remove it PLEASE.