Travel and Transport > Roads, Tracks and Paths

Castle Road, Chatham

(1/3) > >>

CAT:
If I'm correct with the identification of the motorbike as being an early 1930s Triumph NT500 then it would be regarded as being 500cc (actually 493cc) single cylinder overhead valve incline engine with three hand operated gears, though later four gear versions were available. They were regarded as a sports touring bike, and top of the range for the time. Also regarded as one of the fastest bikes on the road. A very expensive purchase then, and even more so now as they are regarded as quite rare and very collectable.

johnfilmer:
I found on a Classic Car website, that KR was issued between October 1929 and March 1931. With such a high number, KR9959 must have been among the last of that sequence issued. The tree behind has no leaves (but buds?) so I think that fits to early 1931.
That makes Win 18, and Ivy nearly 22, which looks about right, and ties in with other dated photos.
Now was it a 250, 350 or 500? It does look like it could be brand new, hence the visit and the photos. Quite a purchase for a young man.

Dave Smith:
Not relevant to Castle Road but to the sequence of registration letters; I well remember that my friend Roy Barnard, who's hobby was "spotting" Maidstone & District buses- a la "train spotters"- often used to point out, "there's one of the old KJ's". So they lasted well into the 40'. 

CAT:
I must correct myself. The Triumph NT 500 (493cc) actually went into production in 1931 and not 1933 as previously thought.

You could well be right grangarog as there should also be a Triumph logo on the rubber knee pad either side of the petrol tank and on the side plate to the rocker cover.

grandarog:
Certainly is a Triumph .The badge confirms . Can make out "RIUM" letters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version