Author Topic: Model Railways  (Read 4999 times)

Offline Nemo

Re: Model Railways
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2023, 11:34:17 PM »

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2023, 05:45:11 PM »
Restarting this old thread as my current project of getting my 65+ year old Hornby Dublo 3rail train set running again (in much enlarged and enhanced form) has led a friend to donate an ancient controller. I don't think that I'll be poking 240volts into it anytime soon, but in the box with it were two Triang pamphlets. One is a how to use your train, and maintain it with quite detailed instructions on lubrication and even cleaning the commutator.

The other one is a list of service agents and overseas importers.

I have attached the Kent listing, doubly kentish as they were by then based in Margate. Not sure of date, maybe mid 70s?
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline John Walker

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2020, 08:54:37 AM »
Looks like he is still around if the last line below means when he was last seen on the forum? 
I think his first name is David.  Profile from the WW2 Forum/

CommanderChuff
Male, 68, from
Warwick

CommanderChuff was last seen: Feb 23, 2020

Longpockets

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2020, 06:36:06 PM »

From my previous post

Commander Chuff mentioned the  Gauge O Guild Exhibition 2018 on the first site ( [/color][size=0px]http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/folkestone-harbour-a-railway-model-adventure.72350/[/size][/color][/size] )perhaps they have contact details for him.[/font][/size][/color] [/size][size=0px]

[/color]https://www.gaugeoguild.com/

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2020, 05:59:35 PM »
I've contacted the Folkestone Model Railway Club & the sec. has asked around & no one knows of the O layout of Commander Chuff. Have now e-mailed the O Gauge Society, so fingers X'd! He must be somewhere! Nice to know that there were several model railway shops in Medway, some where you dream of being let loose for a day!

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2020, 04:19:09 PM »
I used to go to Sittingbourne for a modeller`s club, held then in a school, may have been in Milton.
they made railway engine, bought in a kit. I did learnt a little bit about welding there.
The reason I stopped going, one ( nightschool ) -- a lad & I got back to Sittingbourne station,
boarded a `non  smoker`carriage, sat down, then I noticed smoke coming from two area`s of the
carriage. Then one drunken Scotsman sat up & said ` do you mind if we smoke, then the other one sat up. `Yes I do` I said `there`s a smoker`s carriage next door `. The lad looked on, said nothing.
`You must be a bloody `TORY ` one said, then he said `shall we chuck him off the train, Jock`.
I signaled to the lad `lets move `. We moved to the `smoker `. I would not challenge, these day`s.

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 12:14:17 PM »
Yes, I remember Le Cores at the bottom of Cage lane right opposite the Regent. It was near the bus stop back to Wayfield so it was a stop off before getting on the bus back from Town.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 10:30:55 PM »
HI Smiffy,I bow to you sir,as you say ,it was cage lane not slykates hill, I apologize ,but it's a long time since I left Medway ,looking for work,that's why I love the fourum ,very informative ,but lots of nostalgia keep publishing guys.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 12:54:30 AM »
Hi Colin,

Yes I remember LeCores, the one near the Regent was actually at the bottom of Cage Lane (now Upbury Way). They had a coin slot outside where you could insert a penny and watch the train come around.  I worked with one of their sons for a while (Chris) and he told me that when he was a boy he had no interest in model railways or anything like that - his hobbies were all of the sporting variety.  When I was a kid being let loose in one of those shops would have been like a dream come true for me!

There was also Gee's (bottom of Clover street) and Bakers which I think was in Canterbury Street Gillingham, but I think they may have had a shop in Rochester as well?

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 11:28:54 PM »
There were a few shops that sold model railway stuff ,any one remember le-core brothers,had a shop on the banks Rochester plus one bottom of slykates ?hill Chatham ,Doughtys ,mainly sports stuff was a tri - ang agents, and laterery a shop in Chatham (Rochester end)had quite a good selection.
Had lots of model railway  stuff as a lad,started work a Gillingham loco as an engine cleaner,moved to Torrington Devon as a fire man when Gillingham closed,finished my days as a signalman at Barns west London ,did most of the railway jobs ,cleaner, fireman ,passed fireman,platform staff,engineering shunter, depot shunter area managers assistant,crossing keeper .class 1 signalman ,things just went bad when privatization took over glad to be out of it.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 02:21:46 AM »
Invicta Alec, yes you're right and I do remember the Signal Box. I had a look in there a few times but I was assuming Dave meant before that, like the 1960's/70's.

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 09:50:06 PM »

Dave Smith, as far as I know there were no shops in Medway that dealt solely in model railways...................

There used to be Smiffy. The Signal Box in Rochester. Closed 2013.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/model-shop-closes-as-firm-5905/

Alec.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 08:22:35 PM »
Would be also be nice to see him back on this new forum.

Dave Smith, as far as I know there were no shops in Medway that dealt solely in model railways but there were plenty of other model shops that sold them.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 05:02:12 PM »
It would be great to see current photos of the layout.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 04:48:27 PM »
Sorry, Folkestone it is. Many thanks Longpockets for those leads, they really are most interesting. The photo's posted on the CFV Forum show the fantastic detail that he was capable of, particularly the swing bridge at Folkestone Harbour & the military vehicles carrying train. And the total layout size is mind blowing; a whole shed full of the harbour around Dunkirk & D Day time & a 50' x 40' garden layout- all in O gauge, plus all the ships/boats that were there at the time. I note his mobile railway artillery gun was a 12" howitzer. When I moved here in 1968, a neighbour had been stationed in Folkestone as a gunner on the long barrel 15" or 16" gun. Housed in a tunnel in the cliff, they, from time to time ran it out, fired a few rounds & ran it back in before the Germans could fire back! Using another of the websites you sent, I've e-mailed the contact at Folkestone & Hythe Model Railway society as I wonder whether Commander Chuff ever finished the  layout.