Author Topic: Chatham Dockyard Navy Days  (Read 5412 times)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
Re: Chatham Dockyard Navy Days
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 10:16:16 AM »
I have a programme from a Chatham Navy Days dating from the late 1970s at home. I'll dig it out, scan it and post it.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 07:17:53 AM »
We used to go to Navy Day while late hubby Bob was in the RN and after he left ( 69) Handy sometimes as he often saw old oppo's on ships that weren't open to the public and we often went down to the mess with them. He had wanted to go on subs, but was too short ! so he plumped for the next best thing for him Sonar Operator. Had fantastic hearing right up until the day he died.

pete.mason

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 10:26:16 PM »
I can remember being at Chatham Navy Day's when I was only about 6yrs in 1954.......went in the submarine and on my Dad' shoulders, remember it was fun ducking down.
There were some torpedo like things also in the basins shooting up and down in the water never did know what they were?
Helicopter dropped Sonar Buoys?

pete.mason

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 10:24:57 PM »
I can remember going to Sheerness Navy days too, we used to go to Chatham most years in the 70s. Did get a bit repetive though-how many times could the marines storm HMS Triumph? My main memory of Sheerness is of the water washing through the hulk of the Cornwallis

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 08:13:37 PM »
I too remember going to a at least one Navy day. Dad was a rigger in the Dockyard. went into at least one sub. Would also have been in the mid 1950's

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 10:36:43 PM »
Lived in Chatham, dad and brother both in the RN, but I can't remember ever going to a Navy day!

KeithG

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 10:04:49 PM »
I can remember being at Chatham Navy Day's when I was only about 6yrs in 1954.......went in the submarine and on my Dad' shoulders, remember it was fun ducking down.
There were some torpedo like things also in the basins shooting up and down in the water never did know what they were?

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 04:47:47 PM »
The "Navy Days " at Charham Dockyard carried on for quite a few years after the War. Can remember going 2 or 3 times before I was about 12. Loved the Banks of 4 PomPom's firing at the Aircraft flying over.Also remember clambouring up and down the ladders on board and seeing the engines and inside the big gun turrets.Never went in the Submarine . But went inboard on HMS Seraph much later when I was in the RAF and she was being used as a Padded target for our Practice depth Charges dropped from Shackletons.

Offline Dave Smith

Chatham Dockyard Navy Days
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 04:16:52 PM »
Before WW2, every year, "The Yard", as it was known, had a week-end open to the public. There were always many ships & submarines on display that the public were allowed to tour. I well remember going below in a sub. in one of the basins. All the way from conning tower to forward torpedo tubes, as a young lad,probably 1938, it was the 2nd highlight, The first was when an aircraft-biplane I'm sure- flew over & the observer in the back seat leaned over & dropped bags of flour onto a sloop that was firing anti aircraft guns at it from one of the basins. I think 1/2 the Medway Towns turned out- very popular!