Author Topic: Black-out  (Read 1858 times)

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
Re: Black-out
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 11:48:35 AM »
Storm Eunice took out our power at about 10am on  Friday. It came back on overnight Tuesday/Wednesday.

Curiously we had about 65volts for most of that time, so many LEDs worked and my laptop charged. Some neighbours had internet connection throughout.

When I say neighbours, we are scattered over the Downs above Doddington, nearest behind us is half a mile away, so others may have had different voltage, although all seemed to have something.

Got a bit of chainsaw action in, clearing a large lump of tree that broke off about 30+ feet up one of the large oaks that line the lane opposite our house. Yesterday the sound of chainsaws was all around, our neighbours in the other side of our pair of cottages also had a tree to deal with on the edge of the copse opposite.

Still that’s a bit of firewood for a couple of years time :)  We were really grateful to have a wood burner and an LPG hob top. Most others also have wood burners, but many had to make do with camping stoves.

I did try and get my generator working, but the fuel tap snapped off flush with the tank :-\

Chest freezer was fine, but fridge freezer didn’t keep cold. So we cooked sausages, ate fish, and our dog thought it was heaven, cooked fish, some lamb and a piece of steak! Very little wasted.

Ah the joys of country living...

Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 06:57:28 AM »
You were lucky we have had off,s and on,s for up to 8 hrs. since Friday here in Upchurch and Lower Halstow. Some areas are still without Power,on Wednesday since Friday.

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 10:03:32 PM »
We only had flickering in Chatham, usually when they do their circuit switching

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 10:23:05 AM »
Nothing happened up the hill in Rochester, so it must have been fairly localised.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Black-out
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 10:06:26 AM »
Part of Kent suffered a black-out last Thursday - some of the Medway Towns were hit at 5-58pm - it lasted until 00.40am on Friday
Did any one else suffer from it. Workmen dug down to it, & repaired it. One half of a High Street homes was lit - others not.