Author Topic: St. Margaret's Bank's Rochester.  (Read 12763 times)

Offline shoot999

Re: St. Margaret's Bank's Rochester.
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 09:11:38 PM »
Funny you mention the Gaumont/Odeon as both my friend and I found it worth carting our Guy for Guy Fawkes night all the way down Frindsbury Hill and over the bridge to Star Hill just to collect more money from the cinema goers...

By the time we got him back home he was falling to bits with paper and stuffing hanging out everywhere.... great times

It was also our favourite spot for guy and general begging in the mid 50s to early 60s.  We had the spot on the cinema steps nearest Star Hill and I believe it was the Lamb brothers who had the steps on the other side. We used to ask people too change one penny to half pennies and vice versa. Always made enough for a bag of chips or Andys Snacks. On a good day enough for a film as well. One went in the front entrance, with the rest of us waiting up the alley to be let in at the side. Looking back it was obvious the staff knew what was going on, but just turned a blind eye. Good people.  :)

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2020, 06:40:26 PM »
I definitely remember the old police telephone post from the days before personal radios were standard issue. I wonder what happened to it - probably a feature in someones back garden.

"BAN THE MIND READER" - there's another blast from the past which could probably fill its own thread.

KeithG

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2020, 06:11:49 PM »
Can't recall the Mindbender Pete.... There was another Police Call Box at Star Hill and North Gate traffic lights.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2020, 05:58:13 PM »
Shoot999,interesting shot of the police box on the Banks?cant recall it,but there was its twin opposite the Vineyard pub,corner of Maidstone road -east row just by the strand bus stop.

pete.mason

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2020, 05:08:53 PM »
Didn't "The Mindreader " leave his mark on that wall and the one opposite (ish)  by the rail  bridge?

KeithG

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2020, 04:49:39 PM »
Funny you mention the Gaumont/Odeon as both my friend and I found it worth carting our Guy for Guy Fawkes night all the way down Frindsbury Hill and over the bridge to Star Hill just to collect more money from the cinema goers...

By the time we got him back home he was falling to bits with paper and stuffing hanging out everywhere.... great times

Offline shoot999

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 03:37:19 PM »
For us kids from Troy Town and Star Hill area if you couldn't find your mates up Jacksons or around Blue Boar they would be sheltering from the rain at the Gaumont or Empire entrances. Nice weather and for some reason they could be found hanging around one of  local police call boxes outside the Morden Arms, Star Hill; or in this case along the Banks. No idea why; although I suppose in those days if you hung around outside the shops you would get a kick up the backside by the owner and told to shove off.

KeithG

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 01:33:06 PM »
Yes Colin ...it was dreadful down there but needs be.

The stand ups faced the outer wall with the small slits for ventilation and you had to be careful when watching the traffic go by ;D

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 10:45:48 PM »
Yes I can confirm the presence of the men's loo on St Margrets banks ,if you ever used them the smell will always be remembered ,

Offline jimawilliams

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 10:31:29 PM »
 Memory fascinates me, how quirky it can be.  On the old forum a few years ago in "Guess the place", a member posted a photo of the double wooden doors, as seen in the brick wall.  We emigrated to Australia from Rochester in 1980 and had not seen those doors since then, as a 24 years old.  So after some 35 years they were instantly recognisable to me, just a set of wooden doors in a brick wall!  I am sure that I would not recognise any other door from that time, for example even my own front door.  I also seem to recall that some members posted about what was behind those doors.
Good to see that they are still there
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3839428,0.5119508,3a,68.4y,219.25h,89.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so8gBI6eHvHTkC9LK2rjBPw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 03:04:12 PM »
Thanks Keith  that's  all I've got now ... memories . And I do remember from the old forum, there was even a pic of your scooter I think outside the Wimpey.
The good old days without too much responsibility , just rescued a poor Bumblebee from my carpet and gave it sugar water, now flown off on it's merry gatherings. Now all I got to worry about is if I've got to buy a new washing machine !!

KeithG

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 02:32:07 PM »
I knew you would like that Lyn as i remember your posts from the other side ;D

The loos were only stand ups for men.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 02:14:23 PM »
I must have been a posh mod then! spent hours in the Parlour. I don't remember any toilets there at all  but glad to see the name of the fish and chip shop and my lovely Parlour too of course.
I did  have a very red face in there though, tripped up the stairs to the loo and went out the door that was by the side road. Took ages before I ventured in there again  8) . All those scooters parked outside though, lovely memories.

KeithG

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 02:01:39 PM »
I think it was mainly the posh mods went to the Parlour we used to rough it out in the Wimpy ;)

Yes there were toilets 100% sure as i don`t like them and always try to avoid going in them but i was bursting and had to so i do remember first hand ;D ;D

I think there were about three large window slots in the wall...if you get a good picture you can just work out where the brickwork was repaired?

Just had a look on Google Maps and there are now two sets of steps but they are too close together which suggests the second set of steps was just a Toilet?
The first set the road is too low for a toilet.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 01:46:13 PM »
KeithG - I definitely remember lots of scooters parked outside of the Parlour.  Henri's did some of the best chips, always went there for them when I was at college. Are you sure about the toilets, I can't remember any being there?