Author Topic: St. Margaret's Bank's Rochester.  (Read 12054 times)

Offline Lyn L

Re: St. Margaret's Bank's Rochester.
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2020, 12:40:08 PM »
It's all history though and great memories of what used to be all along there. All the buildings associated with mine across Chatham and Rochester have been demolished  and the church we married in now St Georges Centre.
Much prefer the older ones at least they lasted much longer than some we now have to put up with.

KeithG

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2020, 12:33:56 PM »
The St. Margarets Banks does have a lot to answer for  :-X  what with my parents Wedding Reception at the Hare & Hounds ...my girlfriend at the CCB shop and also yours Lyn at the Cafe.
Strange if Smiffy hadn`t started this thread all this stories would still be in the memories instead of being let out again?

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2020, 11:24:42 AM »
Lyn,of such stuff are our memories made,nice little story there,thanks for that.
KeithG thanks for jogging my memory,did you ever use the shop?there was a superb model of a Sunderland flying boat hanging from the shop cealling,pre plastic kit days so must have been hand made.
After Le-core brothers took over the shop became more railway orentated,then just became a general toy shop.think there was some sort of problem that led to the Chatham shop opening

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2020, 09:00:12 AM »
If I remember rightly the last owner of the Cafe  was Mr Mellor.

The family emigrated to Australia after compulsory purchase of the buildings. Was probably 1962/63  . The story with that  ( and sorry if no one likes it ) the evening I met Bob  he had been seeing Elaine Mellor who lived above the Cafe. Her Dad made her get home by 9pm even on a Friday night !  he took her home on his scooter  came back to the Mountbatten club  where we had all been , started talking to me   and hey presto Magic , Elaine took it all in good part and wasn't bothered thankfully. The rest is history 50 odd yrs together.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2020, 01:04:20 AM »
I thought a "then and now" or two might be interesting. This is the entrance to Nag's Head Lane, there is another view of this elsewhere on the forum showing the hairdresser and cafe from a different angle. Both are now demolished as can been seen in the lower view.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2020, 08:45:58 PM »
Another internet find

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2020, 06:54:07 PM »
The only place I remember being along there in 1967 was The RAF Recruitment centre. An old friend of mine had a " home posting" & worked? there for 3 years., lived in Bearsted which was near enough home.

KeithG

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2020, 03:46:17 PM »
Smiffy... Would be excellent to have a picture of the church.
I have downloaded a couple of Kelly's 1925 and Kent 1895 to try and picture the whole of the Banks through the different years.

KeithG

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2020, 03:40:01 PM »
Colin... it is called "Embroidery".... My Father being in the Navy in Naples Italy during the war took up this as a hobby as did most men who got bored in dock.
He taught me how to stitch when my Mum had died I was just 11yrs and it kept me indoors instead of getting into trouble with other kids. I used to make chair back covers etc. with the coloured silks.
It was Lakes before Le Core but sounds like Drakes?

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2020, 03:07:35 PM »
Smiffy,Busy Bees allso sold rolls of material with pictures printed on them ,my sisters would stretch the material over a frame then stitich it with colord wools,(can't recall the name for it).
Moving back Rochester way,I remember Drakes a model air craft shop,later taken over by le core brothers,who incidently allso had a shop in Chatham ,brought my first kit from Drakes,Kiel Kraft three shillings and six pence.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2020, 02:06:13 PM »
KeithG, I think I may have a picture of the church, I'll see if I can dig it out. I think I can also remember a shop called "Busy Bees", Chatham side of the railway bridge which sold knitting wool. No idea why I would remember that!

It's incredible the number and variety of shops there used to be from one end of the high street(s) to the other, pretty much unbroken from Rochester bridge through to Chatham Hill.

KeithG

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2020, 12:52:13 PM »
Just had a flashback :o  Cannot find pictures of the shops up to the Railway Bridge. there were a mixture of a Wireless Dealer, Drapers, Tobacconist, Watchmaker but my surprise find and i do remember the oval cream coloured sign of a Post Office which is No 318 L.G.Stairs Grocer & Post Office right next to the bridge and Five Bells Lane.
The other side of the Railway Bridge was No 316 Martin & Ellis Umbrella Makers in 1925 but only No 314 Earnest Gowers a Fruiterer... No 312 Holt Book Binder

KeithG

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2020, 12:28:02 PM »
Purchased the 1925 Kelly`s and so many name changes to property even since 1953 / 1965 so according to which year one looks at assume the owners name correct.

In 1925 the end of The Banks nearest Chatham border in 1925 was No 346 Robinson Cabinet Maker then a Wesleyan Church, which i can`t find a picture of.

Picture shows No 344 Bishops and Son Upholsterers also at No 338 with No 342 RSPCA in 1953 it was Mrs Vincent Confectioner in 1925.

Hare & Hounds Pub at No 340 you can just see the Style & Winch sign.

KeithG

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2020, 12:13:20 PM »
Can't recall the Mindbender Pete.... There was another Police Call Box at Star Hill and North Gate traffic lights.
Memory fail, Mind reader of course, about 1965? I remember the police box

Just been reading and Police phone box was there in 1962

pete.mason

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2020, 10:01:16 AM »
Can't recall the Mindbender Pete.... There was another Police Call Box at Star Hill and North Gate traffic lights.
Memory fail, Mind reader of course, about 1965? I remember the police box