Author Topic: V2 rocket site excavation  (Read 6834 times)

Offline Mike Gunnill

Re: V2 rocket site excavation
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 04:07:07 PM »
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-2_rocket#Air_burst_problem  It appears that the airbursts were due to re-entry problems.  I don't have the books cited, so haven't followed the references.

MartinR: just noticed your back on here. Hope your problems are now sorted.

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 02:57:40 PM »
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-2_rocket#Air_burst_problem  It appears that the airbursts were due to re-entry problems.  I don't have the books cited, so haven't followed the references.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 02:41:58 PM »
Judging from the numbers of Airburst V2's were they actually fitted with a fuse to cause them to explode so many feet above ground level ,or was it caused by the cushioning effect of air pressure as they neared ground ,that set off the impact fuse early.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 01:51:17 PM »
Cosmo. Fractionally- probably 1/200 sec.! at that speed, & that is a very Short time! There were reports of air bursts by V2's, well above the ground, so no crater. Don't forget that 3,000 mph equates to 4,400 ft./ second. So in 1/10 second( a blink is about 1/30 sec.) it travels nearly 150yards.( sorry all you metricated people, at least the seconds are right).       Lyn. Thanks for your good wishes, a very slow process, more so as we get older. Dave

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 07:47:11 AM »
Agreed. I imagined the suggestion was that striking the tree caused detonation to occur fractionally sooner than had it struck the ground. Less time to bury itself so deeply? I don't recall if anyone here found out what triggered detonation last time around these were discussed?

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 10:06:58 PM »
cosmo,At the speed they travelled, and the KE,( anyone still got their Tech. College notes?) there is no way that a tree would have deflected it.

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 10:01:22 PM »
He's the link to the previous V2 thread mentioned below. https://kenthistoryforum.com/index.php?topic=501.0

Another useful site listing V2 launch dates and damage....https://www.v2rocket.com/start/deployment/timeline.html

I did notice on the comments on the Kent online article here there was a suggestion that the shallow V2 crater at Lodge Hill could be due to the missile striking a tree before hitting the ground. I thought that may have some merit considering the previous discussion?

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 05:31:20 PM »
I was thinking we had discussed V2 warheads burying themselves into the ground before, but did not go looking for it. Then I saw Invicta Alec's post come up as most recent. His post is in "Personal Memories", which it turns out had the previous V2 thread only a few posts below?

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 11:11:05 AM »
That works! Thanks.  :)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 02:31:08 PM »
Yes, sorry. The report is a PDF file and I was struggling to know how to properly link to it?

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 01:35:45 PM »
Pete.
 Copy and Paste this link into Google search ,then it will work.
www.kentarchaeology.org.uk › ...PDF lees court estate

The article on Lynsted starts on Page 6.

pete.mason

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 10:42:47 AM »
Cosmo,link doesn't work

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 10:13:16 AM »
I don't see what excavating this crater actually proves. In the previous dig in Lynstead they found a fair bit of rocket parts in the hole, which you would expect had the hole been back-filled with surrounding debris. However many V2s were captured intact by the Allies in the war, so their build is well known. The second revelation is that the high speed of impact means the warhead is buried on detonation producing a limited blast area. Again something that is already well known.

www.kentarchaeology.org.uk › ...PDF lees court estate - Kent Archaeological Society

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 03:41:40 PM »
This is a Map of all recorded V2 Strikes in the area.

Looks like the dig is for this one.
“Incident Number 166 Cliffe Woods.@ 15:40 on Saturday 11 November 1944.Other info:Rocket completely destroyed trees for a radius of 55 feet.