Author Topic: Rose in the Valley  (Read 3000 times)

Offline pr1uk

Re: Rose in the Valley
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 06:06:31 AM »
  Quite often called in here for a pint Friday evenings early 60s when on the way downtown for a few found it friendlier than the Shipwrights just up the road,

After the Rose was closed my brothers and I migrated to the Shipwrights and found Jim and Rose the landlord/landlady friendly and we enjoyed the pub. Problem was not all of the Rose users went to the Shipwrights so i lost contact with a lot of them, The Rose was the first pub I drank in after becoming a workman at 15 so happy memories.
The only photo I can find of the Shipwright was my 2 brothers, myself and Ron (knocker) who was like a 3rd brother

Offline smiler

• Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 04:47:01 PM »
  Quite often called in here for a pint Friday evenings early 60s when on the way downtown for a few found it friendlier than the Shipwrights just up the road,

Offline pr1uk

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 07:41:20 AM »
Yes a bit of a spit and dust pub indeed and ask if the heating can go on in the winter brought laughter but no heating, I drank there from 1965 until the church had it pulled down in 1971. I really found it a great pub and used to love it, as you can see it was posh enough from the outside the last photo as Digger, Les and Bill the landlord.

Mind you the outback photo is great the toilets were at the back of course

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 04:27:57 PM »
Good photo Smiffy.

The pub was welcoming enough, but as the photo hints at - it was a bit of a spit and sawdust boozer. I remember it being just as scruffy on the inside as the outside.
The little pointed structure housed some pet ducks at one stage. The little back yard was often muddy with duck droppings all over the place.  :D

Alec.

Offline Smiffy

Rose in the Valley
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 01:15:38 PM »
I thought it might be better to put this here as each pub should probably have its own thread.