Author Topic: Upper Bell Blue Bell Hill  (Read 11669 times)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
Re: Upper Bell Blue Bell Hill
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2023, 10:52:23 AM »
I remember a few years ago when the Upper Bell was demolished, it was done without planning consent from Maidstone Council. I did feel that the whole thing smelled a bit fishy and there was an outcry at the time. Especially when the hoarding around the site had notices on it trying to prevent people from taking photos of the demolition works.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2023, 10:37:34 AM »
Memory of the Robin Hood pub- brings back memories. My mate & I were on our way to Margate - I was on a 1934 Triumph motor cycle - my mate on an
Ariel motor bike - Well, along the Arterial Road - my bike caught fire - with flames coming out of the exhaust - while we were wondering what to do -
Two Naval Leitenants stopped in their Morgan car - & asked if they could help - they said after looking at my Triumph - " leave it to cool off, we can give
you a lift to town as are station at Pembroke - They took me to the Robin Hood pub - for a drink, then took me home - I was 17 at he time. Nice of them.

Offline Local Hiker

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2022, 08:37:50 PM »
Regarding the video at #14:-
"This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated."

Offline mmitch

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2022, 09:58:35 AM »
When I was a kid I was told that the Lower Bell had extra horses to pull carriages and wagons up the hill. Maybe the bell signal was to arrange this. They would have to return back down the hill.
mmitch.

Offline smiler

• Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2022, 06:14:10 PM »
   I went in here with a mate one evening ordered our beers and stood talking at the bar, the landlord told us to move as this part of the bar was for service only no waiting about as other people may want to be served. He then pointed out double yellow lines that he had painted on the floor. We moved of course but funny thing was we were the only two in the pub.

KeithG

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 10:53:12 AM »

When the advert comes up just cross it out...

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 10:24:48 AM »
The upper Bell is an unusual property in that it has land on both sides of the road.  The pub which the owner knocked down and a piece opposite, which is in Common Road.  That is shown as the corrugated huts in the pics earlier in this thread. 

KeithG

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 09:27:25 AM »
I remember in the 1950's/60's the old Chatham Road all the way up wasn't very wide with turns etc. So probably back then very true.... why have an Upper & Lower BELL?

pete.mason

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 08:58:10 AM »
I've heard that tale too Smiffy, no idea if it's true though

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 10:24:28 PM »
I seem to remember that at one time it's said that this part of the road was only wide enough to take one coach and horses. So to make sure it didn't become blocked, a bell was rung at either the top or bottom of the hill to indicate if there was a coach on its way up or one going down. The Upper Bell was once known as "The Old Bell Inn".

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 10:04:24 PM »
Music does that.  I was only a nipper and can't remember anything about the Olympics (to be honest, that's true about pretty well all Olympics), but the tune certainly brings back vivid memories.  Playing with the next-door-but-one lad in his mother's kitchen and hearing this on the radio.  We were both a couple of months short of 8.

KeithG

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 09:47:34 PM »
That's right Alec a great tune and did suit the occasion.
I have the single also from 1964..... I use to put that on the box all the time and it drove my mates mad... One of the girls called Carol used to put on "Google Eye" and she nagged and nagged her boyfriend Mike all evening for another shilling one after the other.
Strange all the times that come flying back?

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 09:45:40 PM »

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 09:10:07 PM »

On the Jukebox they had Tokyo Melody the tune for the 1964 Olympics and i am waiting now to see if in Tokyo in 2021 they have a similar tune?

Great tune by Helmut Zacharius. I know this coz.....I went out and bought that single in 1964. Still have it somewhere I think.  :)

Alec.

KeithG

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 06:14:37 PM »
I don't know how the Lower Bell survived?
Perhaps the junctions of the minor roads nearby and large car park did help.
The Upper Bell was naturally at the end of the highway when the main route was moved and just a pokey car park at the rear?